Monday, March 5, 2012

Movie Review Monday #40: Larry Crowne

I love Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts, and predictable chick flicks. So you would think that means that I loved Larry Crowne, right? 


Wrong.


There will be no list for this film, just a rant: First of all, there was absolutely no reason for these two characters to fall in love in the film. That was a spoiler, but the movie spoils itself so I don't feel bad. So Julia's character seems to be this hopeless borderline alcoholic community college professor stuck in a loveless marriage. Tom is a war vet who was recently fired from a dead end job and goes back to school to have better chances at getting a good job in the future. From what I can tell, the only interactions they have outside of class are once when he fixes her GPS at a stop sign, and once when he gives her a ride home on his scooter and she kisses him for no apparent reason. And then things get a little dramatic and then BAM they're in love or something. What? Also, his community college class all hang out together, which is improbable. Also also, this Manic Pixie Dream Girl befriends Tom and asks him to join her scooter gang. No, seriously. It's so weird and completely unbelievable. 
While it was unbelievable, I do wish I was in a scooter gang.
In other news, Wilmer Valderrama is in this film, and I find him charming. But he wasn't in it enough to redeem the whole thing.


I give this no claws up, Lobsters. Maybe if it starred two actors that I didn't respect, I could have lowered my expectations and liked it more. But Tom and Julia can do better, I just know it.

4 comments:

  1. I actually really liked that movie. No, it wasn't very believable, and no, it wasn't very good. But Wilmer Valderrama was oddly sexy, and Meryl Streep's daughter gave a speech about pasta. So I found it entertaining enough as a distraction while I was getting my hair dyed.

    I'm slightly terrified that I might lose my credibility as your indie film guru after this comment. But this is not an indie film, so I say it shouldn't count against me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since you noted the pasta speech as a reason for liking it, I laughed aloud. Which obviously means you are still credible.

      Delete
  2. i liked it. but i also watched it on the plane ride home from india, so i claim insanity. side note: did you know you can post comments with your livejournal account?

    ReplyDelete