Wednesday, April 4, 2012

offense.

I have worked in Christian Higher Education for six years now. Admissions, specifically. Sometimes my job feels a bit dreary - like I'm just leaving robotic voicemails, explaining the same things over and over again, selling the school like it's a really nice used car. 

Today I spoke with the grandmother of a prospective student. Here was our conversation:
Grandma: "She wants to major in English, but I'm wondering if there are any jobs out there for people who major in English."
Me: "Well, I majored in English!"
Grandma: "Yes, but you have to work at the school. She wants to change the world."


Grandma - 1, My ego - 0.

Sometimes I feel like her implication is correct - I'm not changing the world. I'm sitting at a desk making calls. But when I really stop and think about what I do, I honestly feel great about it. Regent offers an excellent education and, for the most part, an awesome community. I am helping students achieve academic goals. I'm a resource for students who are making a life changing decision. And fairly often, I'm a listening ear for people who aren't ready for college yet but needed to share their story with someone - I've heard about troubles with other schools, divorce, lost family members, issues with churches, unexpected unemployment, the passing of kidney stones. I've had one person say that they saw an ad for our school on TV and they literally thought the person in the ad was talking to them and that's why they were calling. Even then, I'm nice, people. I'm freaking nice. For example, I wanted to tell that grandmother that her words were rude and hurtful, that I'm helping people like her granddaughter, that I'm contributing to putting my husband through grad school, that I'm in a job that's allowing me to be present with my daughter in her first year. My gut reaction was to try to make her feel as bad as she just made me feel, and with the aid of some colorful language. But instead:


Me: "Oh, I don't have to work here. I choose to!" (Pleasant chuckle.) "Do you have any other questions at this point?"


Are you living with purpose in your job? Can you see why God has you there? Has someone's Grandma tried to put you down recently? Do tell.


Part of my purpose.

16 comments:

  1. So good. Thanks for the encouragement :) you are truly changing the world, one helpless kiddo at a time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, amanda! and you are changing the world, one transcript request at a time! :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, her Grandma needs some tact! I'd like to see how easy it is for her granddaughter to get into any colleges without an admissions counselor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well handled, well written. Thanks for this great post! I'm so glad you can be confident in your purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first thought was Eiley. We have no idea what she is going to do in her future. You changed the world just by having her.
    Plus, it's very possible that you have been the deciding factor in people going to Regent. I know that Jen played a big part in my deciding to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good points, Micaela! :) You know, even if Eiley turns out to be a serial killer, I still changed the world by having her... I kid, I kid.

      Delete
  5. Like you, Emily, I have worked in college admissions for a few tears-5 to be exact. My background is in customer service and sales, where I definately did not make a difference! I have worked at for-profit colleges, where I felt I made a difference because I was helpig individuals who were first generation college students. Here at Regent, I feel that I am making a difference because, at Regent, it's about helping people make the right college choice. I believe in the academic rigour of Regent, as well as the motto "Christian leadership to change the world". And, I happen to be an English major. I have also talked to people who ask what can one do with a English degree. I tell them pretty much anything-look at me. I never thought I would end up as a college admissions counselor. And frankly, I wouldn't have it any other way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you are where God put you, then you definitely have purpose. One can clean toilets purposefully. Some of my favorite people on campus, ones with the least recognition and prestige, point me the most directly to Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That notion of changing the world is so vague and fuzzy -one that evokes only a sigh of longing. In my job as a nurse, I quickly realized that my sphere of influence is very small and daily revolves around my assignment of patients. The differences I make aren't usually even noticed by my colleagues, often not even by my patients. But I've learned to find value in a clean bed, a washed patient, an uncluttered room, and tasks clicked off at the end of the day. The best times are like you said when I can be a listening ear, a bearer of good news, or able to coax a smile from someone in pain. Imaginings of grand futures and noted accomplishments are nice to envision, but real life is to be found in the mundane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow...I seriously would have thought nursing would be a constantly fulfilling job. It's actually kind of interesting to know that it even feels mundane at times. I just know you're bringing joy into hurting people's lives though, Michelle.

      Delete
  8. Oh, boy, do I feel you. Three years in an admissions office, working with visits, data, reports, etc and I was a Theatre major. There are days when it is tough and you hear from parents that they think there is something wrong with you since you aren't making money in the field of your degree. They think we've failed somehow. But what keeps me working hard and encouraged is knowing how we are guiding students toward and through life-changing decisions. I just try to remind myself that my training and creativity are assets and that I offer something special. I can sometimes even offer compassion and direction that the family members of these students may lack.
    Keep up the awesome work! I can't wait until you are back in California!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm certain you offer something special, Kristi! Like lion costumes and dinosaur drawings...

      Delete
  9. Well, poo on that grandma.

    I have a job that isn't hard to find the intrinsic value in what I do. Everyday, I make a direct impact in the lives of my booger students and their families. Some days more than others. I've helped get children/parents out of abusive situations, given parenting advice that has taken loads of stress of of the parents, handled medical situations, etc. etc. etc. It's easy to figure out why preschool teachers of kids with special needs or from low-income families do what they do (and it definitely isn't the pay).

    But on the other hand, I come home SO stressed, exhausted, and worn out. I have yet to figure out how to properly take care of work, my husband, a house, and myself, and I've been doing this for several years now. When I think about having this job with my own children to care for, I either want to cry or pull out my hair. Having a "save the world" kind of job is tough stuff and it really does take away from your personal life. You have to figure out where God wants you to be making a difference and putting your extra effort and at what time. I know my job makes a big difference in a lot of lives, but the time will come when I need to leave it to make a big difference in some other lives, like those of my future children.

    God has you where you are for a reason and everyone has the ability and potential to change lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your job sounds exhausting and fulfilling, pattie sue! and i agree that everyone has the potential to change lives. and i also agreed with poo on that grandma. :)

      Delete