Thursday, April 26, 2012

the cheapest, best Christmas gifts ever

Jeff and I found out we were going to be parents in November 2010. Let me tell you - that is perfect timing as far as telling people the good news that a baby is en route is concerned. We decided to wait until Christmas to let our families know about Squirmy McGee (Eiley's pre-gender name). While this was mildly excruciating because we were hiding it from everyone until then, the payoff was outstanding.


We decided it would be fun to give the grandmas, grandpas, great-grandmas and Great-Grandbob photo albums as Christmas gifts. We wrote "Grandma's Little Monster" on the front (or Grandpa or whatever, you get the idea) and had Squirmy's sonogram on the inside. This did work out well, except these three things happened first:


1. We could not wait to tell my sister, who lived near us in Virginia. We were pretty freaked out when we first found out about the baby, so we needed someone to be purely excited for us. So Sissy didn't get a nice sonogram and photo album - she got the pee stick, gift wrapped. We invited her over, and I nonchalantly told her I'd picked up a gift for her because I saw it and had thought of her. (By the way, I'm surprised she fell for this. I'm just not that thoughtful.) She opened it, squealed with excitement, teared up, then realized exactly what she was looking at and said, oh, ew and, grimacing, set it down. It was touching.

2. We flew home to California on Christmas Eve and wanted to wait until gift opening that night to tell my parents. At our annual Denny's dinner that night (classy!), I had waited a smidge too long to eat so my first trimester body was starting to feel nauseated. I let Jeff know, and he sprung into action (it looked like he was running to call 911 for a heart attack victim) finding a pack of crackers for me to eat. After I explained his intense exit away with the fact that I had asked Jeff for some crackers, my mom teasingly said "Are you pregnant or something?" Jeff, Sissy and I just laughed nervously. I think I said some sarcastic yeaaaahs. The surprise was saved though, and she and my dad were sufficiently shocked that evening.

3. We placed my grandma and Grandbob's photo album at the bottom of their large stack of gifts at the big family Christmas gathering. We did not anticipate the fact that Grandma would take eons to get to it though. She loves opening gifts and watching others open theirs, so she was apparently relishing every moment while Jeff, Sissy and her husband, my parents and I anxiously looked on. But then this happened, and it's a memory that I'll vividly remember for the rest of my life:


That year, we spent a total of about $6 on photo albums and gave some of the best gifts we've ever given. We figured any additional gifts we might give would be forgotten and overshadowed by the fetus anyway. 

So, the moral of the story is obviously: Always get knocked up near Christmas. 

7 comments:

  1. i'm both giggling and tearing up at the same time. this is one of my favorite feelings. :) good story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Jeff's blunt answer: "We're having a baby." lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read this while sitting in the Joseph brush up rehearsal, so I have my mute button on. Even muted, this made me tear up! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zoe, tell the story of when she told you-- how it just slipped right past us all in the conversation til they had to repeat it again for emphasis! Aw! Go on-- tell it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we [emily, jeff, manny, my mom, me] went to eat at BJ's when i was 8 months and like 3 weeks pregnant. through the din of the restaurant, what i heard jeff say was, "so, you're pregnant" which a surprising number of people had felt compelled to inform me of already, so i thought he was just being one more sarcastic funny man and replied, "yes, yes i am." and then there was a bit of awkward silence as the conversation progressed passed my weird reply to what was actually, "So, we are pregnant." When I finally figured it out, there was a quick moment of embarrassment and then so so much squealing.

      Delete
    2. hehe...yeah, we put slightly less effort into telling our closest friends. we thought it'd be funny to just casually say it in passing, but it kind of backfired when we told you. :)

      Delete
  5. We told our families at Christmas, too! I agree it is the perfect time to share the surprise. We put a cute little poem about baby-to-be on cute stationary and everyone got to open their cards together. At my parents' house we were all sitting down to Christmas dinner and my mom threw hers up in the air with joy and barely missed it landing on the lighted candle. We were glad for Greg's long arms catching it just in time. :-)

    ReplyDelete