Friday, April 6, 2012

Cooking with Zoe: A Good Meal

"As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you; abide in my love.
This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." 
~John 15:9, 12


I remember. 
I was a little girl, legs bare under my Sunday dress after ripping off tights that made my skin itch, running bare foot along rows of black leather cushions on fold out chairs linked by metal hooks on either side. Chasing or being chased by my friends, maybe Joy, maybe Jennifer, Allison or Melissa, we giggled and squealed up and down those ailes. From the rings on the back of chairs, underneath the seats, strewn hither and thither on the carpet, I would collect those little plastic cups, gather them up into heaping stacks. I would bring them home and stash them in the window seat in my room. Running my finger around that small little rim, round and round. I collected and collected a mountain of cups, always looking for an opportunity to put them to another use, not willing to believe they were just trash, certain they were treasures worth being repurposed. 
Abide in my love. 

I remember.
A dark gym, music blaring over a stereo, people milling about, catching up, laughing, hands patting on backs. Band members breaking down equipment, congregants folding up chairs, children running around underfoot. Between trips from the rows of chairs dwindling down to the stacked chairs building up, I would dodge to the table with the left over bread and wine. Such good, fresh, bread. Over and over, I snatch just one more bite.
Abide in my love.

I remember.
I was one nervous WASP amongst many brown, Sri Lankan catholics. I knew full well that to take participate, one needed to be catholic, which I never have been. So in attempts to juggle multiple layers of cultural sensitivity, I sat still and quiet, trying not to look too awkward, as my host family rose and proceeded forward. But my host mother turned around to me with a reprimanding smile, "We are all one. Come. Break bread with us."
Abide in my love. 

I remember.
Just barely. So much a daze from the whirl of a day all in white. Eyes locked on my groom, a crowd of people seated behind us, as our pastor says, "take, drink, eat." We begin, our first taste of food and drink as one, in the food and drink that binds.
Abide in my love.

I remember.
Eyes free to roam around that theater, as heads were bowed in contemplation. There is the one who bore his soul to us this week, there is the one who asked us to a meal, there is the one we knew before he was born, the one whose hand I grasped, the one I do not know, the one who makes me laugh, the one who makes me think, the one that is hard to love, the one whose music makes me smile. "His body. Broken for you." One by one they approach, our eyes lock, I am filled with love for them, I praise God for them.
Abide in my love. 

I remember.
He took. He thanked. He broke. He gave. He said, "This is My body, which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me." (Matthew 26:26-28; Mark 14:22-24)
Abide in my love. 

I remember.
That night He would be betrayed. "This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me." A new passing over. The sign and seal of the sacrificial lamb is that we share together in His death, that we love one another, that we are united in the covenant that is the promise of His and our coming new life.
Abide in my love. 

But I did not realize. I did not remember.

He did not drink with them. He poured out the drink, to be divided among them. He did not drink. "I will not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes" (Luke 22:17-20).

We remember, that we might bear the fruit of the vine, the fruit of love, the cup that he will drink when he comes again in glory. We abide in Him, He abides in us. We are growing for a feast, a sweetest drink. This communion, this life together, this love.

I remember. 
He is the vine, we are the branches. (John 15) Abide in Him, together.
Abide in His love.

--
Dear Lobsters, on this Good Friday, the remembrance of the first communion meal, would you share with me some of your significant experiences with communion?

2 comments:

  1. Ah yes! Communion at your wedding was definitely a celestial experience!

    My most profound communion was at a Maundy Thursday service when we were attending FPC. All others pale in comparison for me.
    Spring is always torndaic for me, this one was especially so. I can't even remember what the primary stressors were; but I know I was overwhelmed. This was a service of darkness with somber music and scripture readings before the actual communion. As the service progressed, the lights got gradually dimmer and dimmer until the levers were in full off position. Even then, it took my eyes awhile to adjust. As they did, I reloads the shadow of the cross loomed huge on the back wall. It had been hidden behind a hymn book-- one lone candle in from of the cross standing on the communion table. As my eyes focused in, all else disappeared-- visually, emotionally, spiritually. The strength I felt after being filled with the presence of Christ there.... Who can describe it???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow. so utterly beautiful! thanks for sharing this amazing memory, Mom!

      Delete