Wednesday, March 14, 2012

struggling to write

I'm married to a mathematician. I feel like that sounds as obscure as telling you I'm married to a philosopher, which is not so far off. People get all squirmy and uncomfortable when I tell them that. I start hearing confessions about how bad that individual was at calculus, how much they hated statistics, or how they just can't add. Or on the other hand, people tell me how much they loved math in school, the nice orderly security of having a definite answer amidst all the other ambiguity of life. Whatever the reaction, it's usually fairly strong, and followed by a quick change of subject. (Are you squirming right now just reading this?) 


I can only imagine what it is like to walk in Manny's shoes and have to experience that much more directly all the time. Anyways, if people don't change the subject so quickly, and they don't always, I love to talk about how amazingly creative the world of math is once you get past the basic requirements schools impose on you. I had no idea, even until years into Manny's Ph.D. program, just what it meant to be a mathematician, and to be honest, I'm probably fooling myself to believe that I get it even now. He humors me. 


What's beautiful about the fact that math is surprisingly imaginative is that it makes our unlikely pairing into a beautifully rooted connection in creativity. I was a philosophy and english major, he majored in physics and math. The only class we had together was ballroom/swing dance. But because there was this creative analysis at the root of what we each loved about our respective disciplines, even if we don't understand the details of what the other has to say, we get the core experience, and for us, that ends up being what truly matters.


The other week, we were able to resonate with each other when our hands were full with Sofia and he just wanted to sit down and concentrate on some research, and I just wanted to sit down and write, and when we were finally able to, we both felt so freed. When I told him how, on days that I don't get to write, it feels like there is a traffic jam of material in my head just blaring their horns, dying to break through, he got me. 


Maybe even if you don't write, or even if you're not a theoretical mathematician (because I know those make up a huge percentage of this blogs following, right?), but you have some form of creative expression, you get me too. Maybe you understand that once you start disciplining yourself to get into your craft, the art starts to flow much more easily and you find yourself refining your process and your results and growing in your abilities in little ways each time you get back to it. And that growth feels fantastic. And the traffic jam similarly grates at your brain and frustrates you. 


Sometimes life is crazy enough, I moved past the point of the traffic jam. The other day, I was so frazzled and sleep deprived I just could not get words out, I might have had a little baby-induced-aphasia. It was as if the road between my brain and my mouth (or fingers) simply crumbled apart. You know after you've been sitting in that traffic jam for long enough, as soon as you get a break through the cars (time to write) you let loose and drive like a maniac because you are making up for all that pent up energy and you drive your car up a median, or in my case write really weird blog posts that you have to come back to and edit furiously once you realize the mistake you've made. 


The worst stage is when I feel like I've been sitting in the traffic so long, I've just given up hope for any movement to pick up, and I've just reclined my seat and curled up behind the wheel to take a nap. On some days, by the time I get a chance to sit down, my brain is fried and it just takes so long to settle into a creatively productive space.


Anyone else connecting with me here? I'm grateful for this blog as it forces me to get some flow going, and I think that helps keep the creativity alive in dry spells. But since it seems like this struggle may transcend across talents. Maybe you identify and have some other tools for how we can navigate this traffic. How do you keep the creative juices flowing? How do you create space for your craft amidst the chaos of life? How do you satisfy those needs when your art can't find its outlet? 



4 comments:

  1. I tend to write things in my head. So even if I'm busy with Eiley, if something inspires me to write, I write it in my head - even crafting specific sentences, not just ideas. Most of the time I end up writing these things out, and it makes transcribing from my brain to the computer super fast.

    Incidentally, this is why I haven't joined twitter. I know I'd end up thinking incessantly about tweets, and that would require character counting...
    And I'm not that great at math. (See what I did there? Eh? Full circle comment. Blam.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zoe, thanks for writing this -- TOTALLY connecting with you. (Also, you should know that I'm secretly afraid of Manny because of the math thing). I probably have more sympathy than advice at this point, but I'm wondering whether you've ever read "Bird by Bird" by Anne Lamott? I'm just finishing it now, and it's REALLY helpful re. writing. Worth a look, if you haven't. One thing she says is: just commit to sitting down and writing 300 words/day, even if they're terrible. I would also add: go easy on yourself right now. Life with a young child is TOUGH. When Fiona was Sofia's age, I don't think I should've been operating motor vehicles, let alone attempting creativity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I HAVE read "Bird by Bird," among a few other Anne Lamott books, I even saw her speak once at UCSB. Did you know that a girl I went to grad school with went to church with Anne? crazy. But that is such a good point, I need to pull that book back out!! I also read on a blog recently that you shouldn't even give yourself word count minimums, that you should just require yourself to sit, sans entertainment/internet for two hours/day. I think that that would be quite fruitful, but alas, not a real possibility in this season.

      Please do not fear Manny. He is the kindest, humblest soul on this planet. Math is beautiful, not scary, I promise. ;)

      Delete