Monday, March 12, 2012

Movie Review Monday #41: Obsessed With Downton Abbey

I'm pretty sure people have been telling me for a while that I should watch Downton Abbey on Sunday nights. But in about a weeks time, I heard this joke on Wait, Wait, Don't Tell me... 


"For those of you who don't know what the superbowl is, that's the game that will be on television that the rest of the country will be watching while you're watching Downton Abbey." (something along those lines)

And then two of my best friends mentioned how obsessed they were and how much I would love it, so I was pushed over the edge. Seeing as how one of those best friends was Emily, it works out beautifully for us to do a joint post about it. Yay!


Yay indeed! Bear with us, Lobsters. We'll be completely geeking out for this whole post. Oh also, let's just give you one big blanket spoiler alert, cause we're not holding too much back here. 

So, Emily, I trust you managed to finish Season 2 while it was still available online? How are you liking it? 

I loved it. Jeff and I purposely do not have a TV in our bedroom, but we broke that rule and brought Downton to bed with us each night for a little over a week. It was so fun to snuggle and watch it!

I really enjoyed it. I'm going through withdrawals and it has been less then twenty-four hours since I watched the season finale. I keep trying to put my finger on why I enjoy it so much, and why it is all the buzz right now. I feel like its an extended version of Atonement, the book and movie, I know, you and I  both found enjoyable. I think diving equally deep into the upstairs and downstairs also does something to tap into where we'd like to identify ourselves (if I don't currently think of myself as upper class, if I'm an American, I tend to think I'll get there eventually, so I like to see how it's done), and the life we more realistically/currently identify with, the challenges of working and feeling quite separated from the top 1%. And yet, there is an integration between these two that feels fully unfamiliar to me in America. There's a mutual dependence, care, respect for each other's place, even at a time when those divisions and roles (between class and gender) are being upended. But it's probably mostly just the great human drama and story being captured in a beautiful way. What do you think makes it so good?

I was similarly interested in the upstairs/downstairs interactions. There isn't much written from the perspective of the servants at that time or earlier. I recall asking a Westmont professor about that, and she gave me the one book she could think of from the servants' perspectives, called Castle Rackrent. Fascinating that she could literally only think of one book though! I wonder about the accuracy of Downton's portrayal of the servants. Other than that, I think solid, truthful writing, excellent acting, and Maggie Smith are what make it so good. Oh, and the costumes are exquisite.

Which characters do you love and despise? You're not fond of Edith, I take it? Poor dear. 

I despised Edith for most of season one and the first episode of season two, but her character changes (like a real human, imagine that!) and I moved to mostly just pitying her. I love Cousin Violet because everything out of her mouth is hilarious and truthful. If she says she likes something, you know she likes it. If, as happens more frequently, she says she loathes something, you know she loathes it. A favorite Violet quote: "Don't be defeatist, dear. It's very middle class." I also enjoy Daisy. Again, she has changed a ton since the beginning of the show, and in realistic ways. I feel like we're watching her grow up, and I appreciate that she's becoming better at her job, more open to love, able to stand up for herself, and significantly less obnoxious. 


I despise Thomas, obviously. And I don't really even love to loathe him. I'd just love for him to go away. I was terrified he was going to harm Isis. I draw the line at harming dogs. 


10 points for Gryffindor! I mean Downton!
he he. I am so over Thomas, I wish he'd just go away for good already. Of course I love Anna and Bates, since episode one, season one. I find myself quite confused about how to feel about Cora. I'm fond of Mrs. Patmore, and enjoyed watching her character evolve and flesh out. I really adore Sybil, and would want to flatter myself that I would be most like her (this quiz confirmed my hopes! yay!). And I find myself surprised to feel like my favorite character might actually be Violet, the grandmother. She just goes through such a neat transformation over the course of the story and I'm so fond of who she becomes, or more precisely her willingness to become something different than she has always been, even if I don't totally admire all her opinions at this point.


I got Anna when I took that quiz, which made me happy. She's sensible, loyal, loving, hard working, caring. I have a few of those traits, but maybe not as amplified as her.

Do you think they'll do a third season? What are your hopes for the storyline if they do? 


They are currently working on Season Three, and they are in talks for Four and Five, but Maggie and Matthew Crawley are holding out. Grrr. My hopes for the storyline are to get rid of Thomas, have something great happen with Daisy, have Mrs. O'Brien perhaps come totally clean about the incident with Her Ladyship, and, of course, get Mr. Bates out of prison. While I don't really want to kill Lord Grantham off or anything, I'd be interested to see how Matthew runs the place. And I'd like to see Edith do something awesome, though not necessarily with a husband. 

Oooh, good point. Edith's potential awesomeness is in the works, I do like the idea of one of the girls not needing a husband, though she seems to have been the most desperate to be in love for the longest. I am not sure how I feel about Lord Grantham dying, but it seems like someone more central might need to die fairly soon. I wouldn't have minded if we'd lost Cora. I want to see their grand secret finally hit the fan. I want to see what Sybil's new life is like. I want to see Mrs. O'Brien finally get over Thomas and move on. I just don't get that friendship, or whatever you call that relationship. And I would be so excited to see a romance bud between Mr. Carson and Mrs. Hughes. They would be so cute. 

Oh, I totally agree with wanting to see Sybil's life. I'd hope that she's happy, even though Branson is a bit more hot-headed and impulsive than I'd ideally like for her. And it will be interesting when Sir D-Bag Richard releases the secret. Very interesting indeed.


Well played, PBS. If I had some extra money laying around, I'd donate some to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment