Friday, September 30, 2011

i will FORCE eiley to love books.

Today I read Eiley a book about a princess who wears pretty dresses, glittery shoes, and a tiara and has a dog named Sparkles. She goes to a ball and dances with a prince. The end. Seriously, the major conflict in the book is her painful decision of which gown to wear, and (spoiler alert!) she lets her freaking dog choose in the end. Now I'm not saying that children's books need to have some incredibly deep moral message or anything, but...come on. I'm thinking about throwing this book away.


I love books of all kinds, and I'm guessing that love stemmed from a love of children's books. But honestly, I can't think of any specific favorites I had as a child. I recall reading Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day from time to time, and I know I appreciated Jack Prelutsky's The New Kid on the Block, and I must have read several Dr. Seuss books. But none of those were ingrained in me. Maybe my parentals can chime in here and tell me something I'm not remembering. 


Anyway, what I'm getting at here is that I want to have a book that I read with Eiley. A favorite. One that we read so often and with such joy and love that I memorize it without even trying and the sight of its cover when Eiley is 57 brings her mind so fully to her happy childhood that she'll run to the post office and send lots of presents to me and Jeff in our retirement mansion. I thought I might choose Fox in Socks by Dr. Seuss because it would be fun to master those tongue twisters, but after a third read I found it obnoxious. Bummer. 


Ideally, I'd  like this magical book to rhyme and be subtly sentimental. Really, I'd like someone to have illustrated the Fresh Prince of Bel Air Theme by now. Since that hasn't happened yet, I'm accepting actual children's book suggestions. Ready? Go!

6 comments:

  1. The Giving Tree? Best. Children's. Book. Ever.

    I can't claim that it rhymes, but it's definitely sentimental. And, maybe Eiley will need a reminder that you will always be her stump. Even when you are in the retirement mansion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. um, goodnight moon? am i stating the total obvious here?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Runaway Bunny for when she's little, but it may just take on new meaning when she is a teenager! Also Robert Lewis Stevenson's A Child's Garden of Verses is a must! The one illustrated by Tasha Tudor is especially magical.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Runaway Bunny for when she's little, but it may just take on new meaning when she is a teenager! Also Robert Lewis Stevenson's A Child's Garden of Verses is a must! The one illustrated by Tasha Tudor is especially magical.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a fan of anything by Sandra Boynton for the baby age. Great illustrations, good sense of humor, also available in Spanish (Opuestos!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read those Golden Books like it was going out of style. And a lot of Richard Scarry (are those even in print anymore??). Also, I totally read "Alexander" to my 4th graders last week. I love love loved Shel Silverstein and I read those poems far before I could actually comprehend them (i.e.- I looked at the pictures a lot), I always asked my mom to read them to me. However, I don't remember many other really "childhood" books. I don't remember much before Babysitter's Club, Sweet Valley High, Christopher Pike, and R.L. Stein. When Eiley hits a 5th grade reading level though, I'm your girl ;)

    ReplyDelete