Monday, September 12, 2011

Movie Review Monday #17: Newsies

Dear Newsies,


A couple months ago, I wrote a top ten list of my favorite films. I somehow forgot to include you in this list, and for that I am truly sorry. How could I forget a film that has been so good to me? A film that has an embarrassing dance solo by Christian Bale and humiliating open-armed singing by Bill Pullman. A film in which Doogie Howser's BFF tap dances on tables with one of the Mighty Duck's Bash Brothers and the guy from Big goes from nerd to hero in an hour flat. 


I remember the first time we met. I was nine years old, and my family went to the Westminster 10 movie theater. They handed out fake newspapers that had everything from behind the scenes tidbits to an article teaching one of the dances from the film. My cousins and I mocked the newspaper, but then sat down to watch you. And I was hooked. You were filled with catchy songs and hundreds of cute dancing boys, which is really all a nine year-old girl needs. Just ask High School Musical.


You saw me through many summers of camp, giving my friends and me a beautiful soundtrack to belt out while we washed myriad dishes, and also giving us one of the only films that was acceptable to view in the staff lounge that did not star singing produce. 


You blessed me with a brief crush on a kid with bright blue eyes and greasy hair, who somehow made the battle cry "Have no fear, Brooklyn is here" something to cheer instead of ridicule. You gave me Crutchy in all his nerdy, voice-cracking glory. You filled my heart with happiness and my ears with bad fake New York accents. 


And so I apologize for leaving you out of my top ten, Newsies. I have your soundtrack. I have your VHS. I have your DVD. May I also have your forgiveness?


With Love and Contrition,


Emily 

8 comments:

  1. So much joy this post brings to my heart! oh, Spot! how you made my heart beat! I recently watched Step Up 3 and felt like it was a weak attempt to create a modern day Newsies effect. It was entertaining but could not hold a candle. Thank you for sharing this heartfelt letter. I think it just made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. One time Andrea and I sang the entire soundtrack on the way back to Westmont from her house... from memory. We didn't have the CD.
    2. The girl in Newsies is the stupidest girl ever
    3. The look that Jack gives her right before he kisses her still makes me want to die. In the best way possible.
    4. Newsies combines everything I love about social justice, nuns, cute boys and big dance numbers.
    5. I always fast forward "Santa Fe" and "High Times." Yet, this is still my favorite musical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Regarding your second point, have you ever noticed that she punches the wall before trying to punch on of the Delancey brothers? Ridic. She really is the stupidest girl ever. And I am still so so jealous of her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becca, that might be one of my top ten westmont memories of all time! (in keeping with the top ten spririt of this post) FROM MEMORY! We rock.

    also, I vividly remember having a very heated argument with a girl at a sleepover in 4th grade because she was positive that Spot Conlon's name was "Brooklyn" and I of course knew the truth but she wouldn't budge!

    the girl. ugh the girl. "it's the same sun as here" (insert mocking tone) blech. nobody likes you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Re: the girl... she only sings one line and it's clearly a voiceover. Could they find no girls with singing voice who were willing to kiss Christian Bale?

    Also, did you mean the Delancey Brother or da Dalaaaancey Bruddahs?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The girl sucks so bad that we should no longer point out her existence in the film. Instead, the "girl in 'Newsies'" will now be the Meadowlark.

    Also, a friend pointed out to me a special spitty moment right before the kiss at the end. Go back and watch it closely. You will never be the same.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Open the gates and seize the day!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the design of your site very much! Why do you decide to use lobsters? Surely, I do like this idea, it is looks so playful, but lobsters.. Why is it like that?

    ReplyDelete