Thursday, September 15, 2011

Runneth Over

A matter of seconds ago, Sofia fell asleep in my arms. With her knees curled up into my chest and her angelic little face nuzzled against me, I carried her into her room, laid her down in her crib and watched her roll into a ball and fall still like a peaceful little doodle bug.


A moment like that feels so beautiful it almost physically hurts as my heart swells up. But it was a bookend to a challenging couple of hours. She was up in the five o'clock hour, erratic in her movements, unclear in her needs, sometimes fussy in an almost desperate way that just leaves me perplexed. It made me think of what Emily said in a recent post about being challenged in calming her little Eiley. That post stuck with me and I keep thinking about how many of my blissful-motherhood-moments are the seconds after Sofia falls asleep. The time in between her sleeping is HARD! That's why there are so many mommy-blogs out there with titles like "While you were napping" - because we're not getting much done during the other hours of the day!


So now here I am, enjoying the peaceful view out my window, enjoying the blessing of a few moments to write, just praying that the buzz and hum of the world around our home (stupid riding lawn mowers!) will not wake her up. And it is beautiful. And I need to remember that when I woke up this morning and looked out the window, there was a grapefruit-pink hue tinting the trees and sky outside my window. As I got Sofia dressed for the day I was overcome by her cuteness. My husband made me coffee and took care of tons of dishes without being asked. When Sofia hurt herself rolling around on the carpet, and I picked her up, she clung to me as if I could really make her feel better just by my closeness.


My head was spinning so much that I couldn't feel all the blessings of this morning, but they were there. Thank goodness for naps, for peace, for solitude, for quiet. Thank God for moment where I can sit calm, but alert, to the goodness He weaves into the hours of challenge and growth.

2 comments:

  1. You say it all so perfectly. Praying for a grace filled and FUN afternoon for you both.

    ReplyDelete