Monday, September 19, 2011

Movie Review Monday #18: Instant Gratification Version 2.0

Okay, Zoe...my turn! Netflix Instant Recommendations (Does it super annoy anyone else that there's not a place on Netflix Instant where you can simply browse all the titles? I just know there are some hidden amazing shows that I haven't thought to search for but would love nonetheless. Grrr. I guess I can't complain too much for $8 a month.):


Series


1. 3rd Rock from the Sun. This show used to annoy me when I was younger for some reason. Now I think it's hilarious. I wonder what's up with that.
2. Parks and Rec. Seriously. Watch it now.
3. Life Unexpected. Occasionally cheesy. Often melodramatic. Always entertaining. Plus it stars Shiri Appleby from Roswell and Kerr Smith from Dawson's Creek and Britt Robertson from Dan in Real Life. That's a lot of awesome. Also, I'm developing a mild crush on the other male lead. He might replace whoever I had as my number 5 celebrity I'm allowed to kiss. I'll keep you posted, Jeff.
4. Switched at Birth. Also cheesy, melodramatic, and entertaining. But also gives some realistic insight into deaf culture, which I find fascinating.
5. 30 Rock. Tina Fey. Obvs.


Documentaries


Honestly, I've only watched two docs on Netflix so far, but I really enjoyed both. Of course, both were Disney related. Check out The Pixar Story and The Boys: The Sherman Brothers' Story. It's inspirational and interesting stuff, especially if you love Disney films.


Movies


1. Winter's Bone. See my recommendation here.
2. Ballet Shoes. This was a surprisingly touching, well made film based on a book by Noel Streatfeild. I watched it because Meg Ryan mentions the book series in You've Got Mail and because the film stars Emma Watson, which are terrible reasons to randomly watch a film, so I was pleased to truly enjoy it. It reminded me of The Little Princess, in that the little girls in the film are essentially orphaned and rise above poverty in a fairy tale kind of story.
3. My Future Boyfriend. If you like bad movies, this one's for you. Thanks, ABC Family Original Movies. (I was also hoping to recommend Sunday School Musical for the same reason, but it ended up just being plain old terrible. My sister and I could barely mock it properly.) 


Seriously, Lobsters. Give us more suggestions. Ready? Go! 

4 comments:

  1. 3rd Rock from the Sun totally annoyed me too! What IS up with that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ballet shoes! LOVE You've Got Mail - so excited to check that out. I've pretty much put every one of these in my queue now, unless I've already watched them [or watched them several times over as is the case with Parks and Rec and 30 Rock]. Already a little addicted to Life Unexpected - though I sometimes have to yell at the show for some of its ridiculous portrayals of the foster care system.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I defnitely read all the "Shoe Books" I could find after that movie came out. They're pretty good books actually, and I thought the movie was cute too. I watched it on youtube while packing for Christmas break a few years ago, random.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also fell in love with Life Unexpected from randomly browsing Netflix. I need to watch more episodes. Also, I believe I will have to check out Ballet Shoes now, for precisely the exact reasons you've listed, Emily. :)

    ReplyDelete