Thursday, September 22, 2011

Eating with Zoe #2

Recently, I've discussed my opportunity to try out the restaurants of a new town and how this has gotten me thinking about restaurants I'll miss in places I used to live. Last time I mentioned a few of my favorite Texas restaurants. Today, how about a few California spots. I lived both in Northern and Southern California, which some people might argue are separate states all together, so I'll group these eateries accordingly.



Bay Area, California (San Francisco, Berkeley, Oakland):

A) Khana Peena. While Goode Co. is the BBQ restaurant I measure all other BBQ by, Khana Peena is the Indian Restaurant I measure all other Indian restaurants by. Manny and used to refuse to eat Indian because it was unfamiliar and therefore scary. But our community group decided on Indian for a dinner get together once and brought take out into our apartment. We had no choice but to eat it [or starve I suppose, and like I've said, I like food, so that wasn't an option]. It is delicious. I've never eaten anything there I didn't love. And their lunch buffet is only $7, which includes a soda and naan - absolute steal! It converted Manny and I and has left us longing for something as good ever since. One of my favorite memories here was when Manny and I went in for the lunch buffet and saw three boys, about 11 years old, walk in with cash in their pockets and go to town on the buffet and soda. I was so impressed that young guys had such sophisticated taste that took me more than a couple decades to develop. I tried to sneak a picture of them through the window as we left, but they caught me and so I got this: 


B) Tomate Cafe. This is definitely a spot I find myself homesick for a lot lately. A quiet little cafe back in a Berkeley neighborhood, it has a mexican/earthy American sort of flare, free refills on coffee, and wi-fi. We used to love having breakfast here [we LOVE breakfast!] and hanging around working on papers until the lunch crowd started to trickle in.

C) Fenton's. Featured briefly in the movie, UP, this is an historic Oakland establishment. Old school ice cream parlor/diner. Yes, I did once order both an ice cream sundae AND fried mozzarella sticks in one visit [shout out to Ieesha!]. This made for a great special occasion spot, a bring-out-of-town-visitors-to spot, a late night hang out, and just a fun place to get some treats. I highly recommend their peanut butter fudge topping - I've never found anything that begins to compare.


Southern California (specifically Santa Barbara and San Diego):

I. Los Arroyos: I was first introduced to Los Arroyos when it was brand spankin' new and we used them to cater an event in my first full time job. The owner is a warm, kind man and the food is just simply amazing. With a couple locations around Santa Barbara, it's worth stretching the budget a little bit to enjoy a visit. La Superica is the foodie-Mexican spot in town, but I personally enjoy Los Arroyos so much more. Sorry to disagree with Julia Child.

II. Wired Cafe. Simple little French cafe with salads, paninis, pastries and the like. Service is slow, but the food is great. Another great study/work spot (I'm all about scoping out the free wi-fi!). Not super touristy or anything - just a nice little un-assuming lunch spot off the beaten path.

III. The Cottage. Ok, this one is a bit cliché. It is a huge tourist destination for La Jolla, but it is also frequented by locals because it is just too good and too cute. Based in a sunny craftsmen style house with a huge patio surrounded by a white picket fence, the Cottage is airy and bright and the food is phenomenal. Breakfast and lunch, I can attest to - dinner is a new addition that I didn't get a chance to check out before moving away. Pout. After Sofia started having a regular - EARLY - bedtime, this became our special occasion destination because at least we could always count on being up super early and ready to eat a nice meal in the mornings!

Really, this is just an initial smattering of some restaurants I enjoy. I doubt many of these are making hip and trendy magazine profiles these days, but I love, miss, and recommend them! Have you been to any of these Lobsters? Any other recommendations in these areas? What is your favorite restaurant to miss from far away?

2 comments:

  1. fenton's sounds delightful - i'd definitely like to try that out someday.

    also, when i saw "the cottage," i definitely thought you were going to write about food you made in clark cottage. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Houston- completely agree that Goode Company tops the BBQ list. Also miss Moehler's Bakery, Beck's Prime, Ninfa's, Nit Noi, Escalantes, and Amy's ice cream.
    In College Station- a pricey perfectly yummy date place called Madden's, sandwich shop called Blue Baker, Cheddar's for a Chili's type meal but better, favorite coffee shop Sweet Eugene's ( you took mine and greg's first pictures there, remember?)
    Texas in general: Whataburger, McAllister's, Jason's Deli, Shipley's

    Can you tell I have spent too much at restaurants? Sadly there really are not any amazing restaurants in Lancaster, PA. :-( must be the amish and Mennonite community influence- everyone cooks at home! I really miss my restaurants....

    ReplyDelete