Tuesday, September 27, 2011

More tales from Maine



We've now been in Maine for over a month. I've been a bit remiss to do much updating on our time here, but that's because we've been so busy. Mostly I've been busy trying to keep up with Sofia, but we've also enjoying our new home. Every box is officially unpacked, we just have some decorating and baby-proofing left to do. 

As I continue to meet tons of great people, I keep seeing this nervous look in people's eyes as they ask me, "how do you like Maine so far?" I can't quite figure out why they are always so surprised when I tell them I love it. Is life a blissful carefree holiday for me here? No. But I figure most of that has to do with mothering an infant. I think they also don't immediately realize I've yet to experience winter. Perhaps I will update you even less frequently during that season, you know, "if you have nothing nice to say. . . "

So the place we moved into is amazing. We are still adjusting to having so much space after all of these years in small apartments. But it wasn't quite ready when we moved in, so we still have a constant trickle of repair men visiting Sofia and I during the day. 

We have dubbed her "Sofia the Supervisor"
And in case you hadn't picked up on it in earlier posts, we are loving our yard. 



Though spending time in the yard involves about 2 milliseconds of idyllic bliss, and the rest of the time is chasing after Sofia who wants to eat everything in sight. 




Despite all the new space, Sofia's voracious appetite for stimulation, and my need to move around keeps us on the go exploring the area. I love moving to a new town, getting myself lost, then figuring out how to find my way back home. It allows me to explore new areas and get more familiar with all the roads. Here are some of the spectacles we've stumbled upon in our disorientation:




Stepped out into this while walking through the woods behind our hosue.
For Labor Day weekend, my parents came out to visit us Sofia. Our infant-toting pace of life was a bit slower than their touristy eagerness, but I think they cuddle time made it all worth it. I know at least Sofia had a great time.



Maine is famous for lighthouses, lobsters, and meese. Remember this guy? I refer to him as "Eeyore the moose." We got the moose sighting taken care of right away (the day the moving truck arrived). 

photo credit: Manny Reyes 
When my parents visited, top of the list of the must-do activities for my dad was making lobster for ourselves at home. [stay tuned for a whole photo shoot of our visit to the lighthouse] So we ventured out to the Saturday farmers' market as a family, perused all the wonderful vendors, and picked out six lobsters [spending under $30 total]. They spent the day squirming around in my fridge while we did some more sight-seeing:


And then they squirmed around in a pot for a bit:


And then, after slathering them with lemon juice and butter, we devoured them. Do not worry, Lobsters, I promise never to do this to you.


Ok, devoured really isn't a great word. Amidst of all this lobster preparation was a two+ hour battle to get Sofia to bed. Not getting to sit down to eat my lobster until I had succeeded this exhausting task, I relished each bite, conscious of little else going on around me. It was a good reward!


One of the greatest blessings to me in settling into Maine has been all of the other moms I've been able to meet. I prayed for over a year that God would provide community for us here, and He has delivered this blessing in abundance. I've been invited to oodles of moms' groups, made a handful of mom friends, started hosting a weekly women's bible study, and run into new mom friends out and about town almost every time we walk out of the house. Praise God! These moms have been full of super useful advice and have been a great resource in discovering new and wonderful things in the area, such as this park on the water: 

photo does not do it justice 
And now the leaves are beginning to change, and I'm looking forward to seeing a whole new side of New England! 





2 comments: