Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Dear Sofia



Dear Sofia,

You just took a two hour nap. You haven’t been napping well for a couple weeks, so this was an incredible treat. While you napped, I was able to clean the house so that I can host my bible study tonight without feeling utterly shameful for making the disarray we live in so exposed. I also got to employ a fun home-design idea I saw on pinterest, instead of just dreaming of pretty things like usual. We now have a coffee and tea bar in our kitchen and I love it! I also got to spend time writing and working on the blog I run with Auntie Em. This time to catch up and be quiet alone was such a sweet blessing to your Mama. Thank you my sweetheart.

But now you are awake. I can hear you through the baby monitor. You are babbling away at who knows who. Is it the stuffed lobster in your crib? The little dolly I had when I was a little girl? Or are you talking to the baby figurines across the room that you love so much? What are you telling them? You seem so happy and peaceful and busy and pleased. Every now and then I hear you say, “mama mama” but you seem content enough to play by yourself. The tricklings of your voice are just the sweetest sound, second perhaps only to the sound of your little laugh. My quiet and solitude were refreshing, but your joyful noises fill my heart so fully that I think I might burst out into tears of happiness.

You are a miraculous creation. You used to be a fluttering in my tummy. And then you were a bundle, always in my arms. And then you were a flopping little fish wriggling around on the floor, never getting anywhere very fast. But these days you are a motion machine. Crawling and climbing and chasing or being chased all around the house. You grasp whichever set of hands you can get to first and then you are off like a freight train, always on a mission. To the bathroom! To the guest room! To the bedroom! To the kitchen! The other day, you crawled from the opposite end of the house all the way to your play room and plopped down to enjoy your toys. How do you know your way around so well? How can you be so capable? Where does all your curiosity and ingenuity come from? You always have a project,  a problem to solve, a skill to master. Always at work in your play.

What are you at work on now? As you make raspberries with your lips, as you utter such profound nonsense to inanimate objects? I can hear you bounce in your crib. Dancing to the music in your own heart. You have more energy than I can keep up with most days, my love. You amaze me beyond my mind’s comprehension. You are such a sweet blessing to my soul. I love you, my dear one. I love you so much.

Blessed to the brim,
Your Mama

1 comment:

  1. Love this love letter :-) Aren't we so very privileged to behold God's glory in the life of a child. It's no wonder He says that the kingdom belongs to such as these. I wish I could meet your sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete