Thursday, August 11, 2011

Book(s) Review: The Hunger Games Trilogy

I am obsessed with The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins. Seriously. Ask my husband. Every time someone visits, he tells them about the 5 S's to calm a baby (from the book The Happiest Baby on the Block, which we earnestly recommend) and I ask them if they've read The Hunger Games. It has become a joke of sorts (I say "of sorts" because it's not really funny and traditionally jokes are funny - in fact, the more I think about it, the more I think it's kind of sad that we both only have one topic of conversation, but at least we don't talk about the color of Eiley's poop or anything). I even asked our friend Chad if he'd read them twice in one week. 


Arabella let me borrow her Kindle, so I was able to read the entire trilogy while nursing Eiley. Amazing. Sometimes I would tell Eiley to just keep eating if I was finishing a chapter. Things I loved about The Hunger Games:

  1. They were super addictive, like Twilight, but I didn't feel like my brain was turning to mush because it was so horribly written, unlike Twilight. This was well written and a page turner.
  2. The characters were interesting and memorable and not entirely predictable.
  3. The main character, Katniss, has two potential love interests to choose from. She can't choose, but neither could I. Seemed more realistic this way. Like 90s one hit wonder Natalie Imbruglia, I was torn.
  4. These are fantasy novels, which I don't normally go for because I'm generally too lazy to learn about a whole new world (for example, I couldn't make it through the Lord of the Rings books with all their lands and different creatures and terminology and Gollum). I found it easy to jump into this world, which is really our world but in the future and slightly altered. The names were unconventional but not difficult to remember or pronounce and the lore was clearly communicated and easy to follow. 
  5. I was on the edge of my glider chair much of the time. This is a story of survival, hope, freedom, unintentional heroism and awesome costumery. 
  6. Katniss's weapon of choice is the bow and arrow, which is also my weapon of choice! 
  7. The movie comes out next year, and I'm a sucker for books that are adapted. 
Two enthusiastic claws up, Lobsters! Read The Hunger Games today! (Or I'll ask you if you've read them bi-weekly until you do!)

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read the series! I gave them to my dad for Father's Day/his birthday, pre-loaded onto his Kindle and he LOVED them too! Now if I could just figure out a way to steal his Kindle for a few days, we're set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. agreed on ALL counts my dear daughter, no i have not finished them all yet? but i find when i enter this incredible world i do struggle with coming back to the present... yep 2 very adamant claws up:)

    ReplyDelete