Friday, August 12, 2011

Can't take Texas out of the Girl

You can take the girl out of Texas, but you can't take Texas out of the girl, y'all. That's right, I was born and raised in the Lone Star State. I have re-acclimated to this other country where no one has air-conditioning in their homes, I have learned to live without getting bar b que every saturday for lunch, but every now and then, I just need a little country music fix. It's one of my guilty pleasures.

I am a little pretentious about it, in that I prefer "Texas Country" to typical pop stuff. But I'm also way out of touch with things that are current. There are just a few songs or artists here and there that bring a smile to my face and make me feel like home. Can Texas be considered one of my long distance friends?

Three Days
Pat Green - from my own hometown, guitar student of my old youth pastor, this is the only country music artist I've ever seen live in concert. Manny and I saw him at the Houston Rodeo, largest rodeo in the world, thank you very much! He's up there with Willy Nelson as a true Texas Country artist.

From This Moment OnAny Man of Mine by Shania Twain - my karaoke go to song. 

George Jones - This guy sounds like the side porch of Goode Company Bar B Que [best BBQ in the world], where my dad took me every Saturday for lunch as our break from working in the yard. NPR did a great piece about him not too long ago.

Travelin' SoldierDixie Chicks - an exception to my supposed preference against pop country, these gals were were practically outlawed in Texas for a while for their lack of patriotism, but I still enjoy them. I especially love their cover of Landslide.

Rascal Flatts - another pop exception, but they're just fun.




Assuage my embarrassment Lobsters, anyone else enjoy the guilty pleasure of some country music from time to time? [Texans, please don't yell at me for being embarrassed.]

1 comment:

  1. i hate steel guitar. it makes me angry. most country music has steel guitar, thus most country music makes me angry. i do enjoy bluegrass though! i think the banjo is such a pleasant sound.

    also, my karaoke go to song is gettin' jiggy wit it. holler.

    ReplyDelete