Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Pranks.

I wish I was better at pranks. I think they're delightful. I also feel like a grandmother writing that out, but whatever. My grandmas are cool so I'll take the comparison. I haven't pulled many pranks in my life because I have trouble thinking of good ones that won't physically/emotionally harm the prankee, but here are a few:


1. Well, there was the turtlecall. Not sure if that counts though. You know, since I paid someone to do the actual pranking.
2. When I worked at Vanguard University, there were a couple of crazy guys in the Undergraduate Admissions Office. (I was in Graduate Admissions. Yes, that did make me superior, thanks for noticing.) They tended to tease me like I was their little sister (even though I was older than one of them), so I decided to get them back by writing on their cars. On one, I wrote "Follow me to the Ren Faire! Huzzah!" and on the other I wrote "Clay, you're MY American Idol!" I hope people judged them accordingly. Unfortunately I'm not entirely sure how that prank went since they were masters of pretending that nothing had happened.
3. The clock. This also doesn't really count since I feel like Jeff and Mikkele started it, but I have participated. Oh how I've participated. Here's the "short" version of the journey of the clock:
  • I received clock as a gift. It was very loud (sounded like a dying frog), so I gave it to Mikkele when I moved out of our apartment.
  • Jeff went to pick up some of my stuff from said apartment, and Mikkele insisted he take dying frog clock with him.
  • Jeff took the clock with him...and left it outside on Mikkele's car.
  • Mikkele brought the clock to me and Jeff's new apartment (Jeff's and my new apartment? mine and Jeff's? what is it, people?!) and secretly hid it in our bed.
  • We mailed the clock to Mikkele's workplace.
  • Mikkele baked the clock into a cake. (Still my personal favorite.)
  • We asked a friend who worked at Mikkele's grocery to put the clock in her bag next time she shopped there. Our friend failed miserably, lost the clock, and when he found it just brought it to her apartment.
  • Not knowing that our friend had failed miserably, we thought the clock was lost forever. Until it showed up in a random box of our stuff when we moved to Virginia.
  • We mailed the clock to Chicago, where one of Mikkele's best friends gave it to her as a gift when she visited.
  • Mikkele had a friend in Virginia put the clock in the prop box for one of Jeff's shows. Blew. Our. Minds.
  • We had a friend put the clock on a shelf in the hostel where Mikkele was serving in Amsterdam. By this time, the clock was obviously in shambles, and this friend had the brilliant idea of reassembling it. Blew. Mikkele's. Mind.
  • Clock in a cake! Yum?
  • Mikkele mailed it back to us in Virginia. (Please, someone comment on the lameness of the last return. Seriously. And feel free to email me with new ideas because I'm drawing a blank right now.)
Have any good pranks, Lobsters? Or any pranks that you tried that failed miserably?

5 comments:

  1. Hummm, I like where this is heading. I need to know more about your friend. Where does she live? Where does she work? What are her likes/dislikes?

    Also, even though I'm an English teacher, I still don't know the correct phrase. If one of my students asked, I would say something like, "just use 'our'". Yes, I get paid for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Correct grammatical rules dictate that the phrase should read, "Myzen and Jeffshizzles new crib yo." Word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i can claim ruining the night of a jr girls group, with help but my idea, that visited the 6th floor freshmen year (i was from the 4th, whoot whoot), i had a floormate pooped in a box, we then proceeded to bury the poop with chocolate chip cookies and then wrapped it and left it with a note that said yay thx for coming love your leaders and the 6th floor:D
    then opened our lounge windows wide and in the pitch dark waited to hear them scream from above when they realized their sweet treats were sitting on poop lol!! and they did just that!! screamed so loud then the 6th floor people ran down yelling and ranting to find out who did this horrible crime and to this day dont really know whi did it nor do they know it was human fecal matter:) rumors went crazy for weeks!! was amazing:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. umm, i would like to make a few comments about the last time i returned the clock.
    1) surprise factor was still there because (and i have the video to prove it) we all thought the clock was gone forever.
    2) remember that time that i baked the clock into a cake and had chad surprise jeff with it? don't i get points for being the favorite?
    3) it was your birthday! come on!! you got it back on your birthday after thinking it was lost forever! and with a sweet skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best prank ever played on us ...about a year after we bought our house we were out of town in San Francisco and we got a phone call on Daves cell asking how much we were selling our house for. We weren't selling it so we asked why the person thought it was for sale.they said their friends lived on our street and saw the sign on the lawn.what sign? We freaked out. How could our house be for sale? Could our lender sell it without our knowledge? ? We fretted the whole trip home. ( 8
    hour drive)and when we pulled up to our house there was caution tape around the house and a for sale sign in the grass! ! I stood there crying -sure we were losing our house! It was too late to call our lender and I was afraid to go in (why was there caution tape anyway) but after a while a friend who lived down the street came over and said so have you gotten any offers? He laughed and we realized we had been pranked!!

    ReplyDelete