Wednesday, November 16, 2011

methods of (anti)madness

Last week was a little rough. Jeff was gone from 6 am to 7 pm on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday working on a feature film set as a stand in. It's awesome because now he's SAG eligible, so he'll be able to more successfully audition for film and television when we move back to California. It was less than awesome because that left me with my full time job and my full time baby and my very part time dog and my absolute wreck of a house. To be clear, I fully support what Jeff did this week, and would have been upset if he hadn't done it. Also, Arabella was kind enough to watch Eiley for a couple hours on Wednesday morning, so I had some break. I just got a little overwhelmed on Wednesday, which inspired these three lists:


1. Things to do when I'm feeling mildly stressed out:
  • Write each task on a post it note. Destroy each post it note after destroying each task. (That's what I did Wednesday. Well, I wrote all the tasks out, and I only got to destroy one. But still - there's something comforting about getting it all out of my head and onto little sticky papers.)
Pink sticky papers, no less.

One of those sticky notes said "Make yard look slightly less white trashy."
  • Go on a walk.
  • Put on some good music. (By the way, does anyone have any suggestions? The endless options available on Spotify render me completely unable to choose what to listen to. It's a strange phenomena.)
  • Stare at Facebook in a numb stupor.
  • Read me some Psalms.
  • Take a hot bath.
  • Eat a snack. 
2. Things to do when I'm feeling way stressed out:
  • Sleep.
  • Cry.
  • Pretty much just act like my baby. (Oddly enough, last time this happened, it was a result of Eiley taking forever to nurse. My baby made me act like my baby.)
3. Things to do when I'm feeling insanely stressed out:
  • Lay in bed in fetal position and stare at wall. (The last time this happened, I was pregnant and made the mistake of reading What to Expect When You're Expecting, and I started thinking everything in there would happen to me, which was basically a horrifying thought. For any pregnant Lobsters out there, just use that book as a reference when you have questions. Don't read it all the way through. Trust me.)
How do you all de-stress?

3 comments:

  1. Aww can totally relate to this post! Especially with Eiley being the age she is. My hubby just left for a 4 day work conference. When he did this (to me) last year, my baby was 4 months old and colicky and we still hadn't slept more than a 3 hr stretch at a time at night. And I wholeheartedly agree about What to Expect-- a wise mom told me not to open that book during pregnancy, and I complied, and I am thankful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. is that pre-or post- de-white-trashifying your backyard? just curious.

    ReplyDelete