Monday, November 21, 2011

Movie Review Monday #27: Relative Values

I picked this one out initially because I saw that it was based on a play by Noel Coward, and my husband was recently working on a scene from Private Lives, another of Coward's works. I also picked it so I could say something brilliant on this review about choosing this film because it's based on a play and I'm an [insert word for lover of theatre], but when I tried to figure out that word, all I could find was a yahoo answers entry that said the term for one who loves the theatre is "Theater geek." Whatever. My third reason for choosing this film was Julie Andrews. Don't you just love her? I would like to squeeze you, Queen Maria Poppins.


Observations!
1. It's set in the 50s, which is delightful, though I found myself wishing I had a better understanding of social classes in England during that time. I'm sure I was missing some of the jokes since I didn't know how uncouth some of the characters were acting.
2. Speaking of wanting to squeeze people, the lady who played Moxie was absolutely tragically adorable. I just looked her up, and she also played Mafalda Hopkirk in a Harry Potter, so she's apparently awesome altogether.
3. Billy Baldwin was in this, which shocked me because I don't think I had ever seen him in anything prior to a month ago. Now I've seen him in this, Parenthood (the show), and Dirty Sexy Money (also a show). I find him odd and overly squinty.
4. Holy moly, Jeanne Tripplehorn is classically gorgeous. Which is hilarious, because I always mix her up with Jean Stapleton. I mean, Stapleton is lovely in her own way, but...
Stapleton!
Tripplehorn!
5. Stephen Fry was also in this film. Hilarious. 
6. Sid's dead fiance from Alias is also in this film. Okay, now I'm just listing actors.
7. The story in this film is so simple and fun. It's a satire of the lines drawn between classes and an actress's desperate attempts to remain in the press. It's nothing deep or entirely memorable, but Jeff and I were entertained.


A claw and a half up!


P.S. Oh, hey, Colin Firth was also in this! 


No comments:

Post a Comment