Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Regeneration Trees #1

I have a particular long distance friend, perhaps my friendship that crosses the longest distance. Bekah lives in Hong Kong. We were roommates for a year. After that year, she moved to Cairo and we have only seen each other one time since then. We don't stay in touch too frequently. To be honest, sometimes it hurts to have found a connection so deep in our souls and to have been so fully present with one another for a season and to have that bond stretched apart. We go about our lives impacted by one another but uninvolved in one another's day to day. But so it goes with friendships. To everything there is a season.


Bekah is a great many things. She is a biologist, wife, historian, mother, linguist, mother, prayer warrior. And she is perhaps most simply described as a woman of influence. We had one of these rare opportunities lately to reconnect when she was state-side. Our time zones aligned and a phone call was uniquely possible. She shared about a vision she has for raising support in the fight against human trafficking. She called on me to support her and participate in this vision. She wants to have an art auction to raise awareness and funds.


For this art auction, she, a gifted painter, wants to take slices out of tree trunks as canvases. The image she wishes to evoke is of the death and brokenness that comes to nature, and how nature, trees, are capable of regenerating life after fire or being cut down. Similarly, women broken through kidnapping, sex trafficking, dehumanizing oppression have hope for regeneration of their own broken lives. It is a unique body of imagery to explore in Hong Kong as this urban city center is not full of much greenery.


I on the other hand,  I effectively live in a forest. I am surrounded by trees. So she charged me to venture out, camera in hand, and to capture this somewhat vague idea through what the trees or the Spirit revealed to me.


How invigorating to have this artistic challenge. To have a visionary calling on my skill. Inspired, I saw the trees around me in a new way as I took my daily walks. What an interesting challenge in this season in particular. At a time when the trees seem to sparkle, and die, to be dormant for months. But I know and I can trust that they will come back to life, springing forth their enduring force once again. Those that do not will give way to life for others by making way for light to come through and nourishing the soil.


And so begins a series I would like to share with you, Lobsters, the "Regeneration Trees." I plan on this being an ongoing project, as her art show will not be for some time. So as I go along, I will share some of my images and reflections with you. As I do, if you are interested, here is a great site where you can learn more about human trafficking and what you can do about it: Not For Sale, started and lead by David Batstone, a fellow Westmont alumnus I had a chance to meet a few years back.


Here's Regeneration Trees shot #1:




With Bekah's prompt in mind, and my camera in hand, I came across this tree on a walk with Sofia. Even in their burst of color, I feel like these leaves look sad and droopy. I was struck by the idea of how women dragged through this torture are dressed up to dazzle, and yet, inside they are consumed by darkness.


Stay tuned for more.





1 comment:

  1. I understand you properly. I like old trees and Fall too. Actually, it is only partly related to Autumn beauty as it is, that is also because of the weather.

    ReplyDelete