Friday, February 10, 2012

Cooking with Zoe: A letter to my love

Dear Husband,


Standing with our backs facing each other, I wanted to tell you how much I missed this, cooking together. Me with stinging eyes, crying over onions, you with diligent hands, stirring the chicken. The scent of ginger and garlic, and the sound of music playing while we silently work. The brush of your arm against my arm as we swirl around each other in this culinary dance. Occasionally we turn and glance at each other, we steal a kiss. We share a taste of what we are creating together. 


We used to have this every night, this meal we prepared for each other. And I wanted to tell you how many together-things I missed doing with you since Sofia came. Lounging in bed in the morning, talking as long as we choose. Holding hands in a movie theater. Losing ourselves in the obsession of a video game until our eyes gave out or our stomachs cry too loud. Walking side by side under the stars, feeling open and free. 


But it didn't feel quite true. 


Missing things felt like declaring there was an unfilled hole, a vacancy in our love. And while it was a warm comfort to return to this act of communion after so many months past, the new things we do together bring me joy too, so much joy that I'm not ready to trade back just yet. 


You're still there when I cook, but now you are in and out of the kitchen, running before or behind our not-so-toddling-toddler. You are on the floor identifying objects of her  constant pointing. You are grasping her away from her incessant attempts to touch the oven. You are still present at my back, but she is in you arms, nuzzling her head under your chin. 


My mother taught me the art of breathing in relaxation in the kitchen, and you are teaching me the art of breathing out the joy of my family in the very same place. Breath in the wafting smells of spices and herbs, laugh out the the surprise of her new word so exuberantly expressed. Breath in the steam from a boiling pot, breath out a sigh of wonder at the tenderness with which she caresses your face. 






This is a life filled with abundance. This is sweet sustenance. This is love boiling over.


The time will come again when we cook together day in and day out. And that time will be a sweet return. And for today, I am ok that we have a new flavor of love to share. What we are creating together now, this life, it sure tastes good. 




In this special season of life, my love, I love you. Happy Valentine's Day.


Love,
your wife

9 comments:

  1. What an amazing writer you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. True words! Having children definitely changes the dynamics of a marriage, but only for a time. This is a great reminder of that fact.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These words go soul-deep. I remember. I do. I remember the times in the kitchen like that, before the babies, and now it's coming back again. It goes.so.fast. Even by the time they're five years old, they're busy playing Legos or Polly Pockets, and you're back in the kitchen, together again.

    You have a healthy perspective on things. And a beautiful way of saying it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum. This whole post is a delicious peek into your world. What a celebration of love and family! Thank you for linking this to the THC Community Writing post hosted at Jennifer's. What a joy to dance into your space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ann. Loved Jennifer's post, so fun to participate.

      Delete
  5. Dropping in from THC -- what a wonderful piece here, a glimpse of these ways that our lives and our love transform over time. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete