Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Assuaging my conscience re: Two Truths and a Lie

Thanks again to all you Lobsters who played Two Truths and a Lie with Emily and I. Ever since I could not fool my mom into believing I had brushed my teeth when I hadn't, I figured I was fully incapable of convincing anyone of non-truths. It was fun to find out I wasn't totally wrong ;) But Mom drilled that distaste for lying deep down into me, so I feel compelled to clear things up to assuage my conscience. In the reveal, you can see which factoids were true. Here are some clarifications on the non-truths:

Day 1: I actually did grow up with a dog named Dixie, and the story is true. The thing is, it was not my story, I stole it from a former work colleague who also grew up with a dog named Dixie.

Like Emily, I also received a dress as a present when I was little. Unlike Emily, I threw a complete hissy fit. I'm still trying to live down my spoiled ingratitude and lack of self control.

Day 2: Again, the "lie" is a true story, and this time it was even my story, but the recruiter was from a different modeling agency. I still love that I got to wear my mom's prom dress to my prom, it was so red and so flowy, I just waved it around in circles all night long. That was the only time in
my life I spent weeks working out to fit into clothing, my mom was a skinny-minny in high school!! Here's how gorgeous she looked in it way back when (and yes that is my dad, high school sweethearts, still together a few decades later!):


Day 3: Ok, from day three on, no one guessed my lies correctly, so I have a lot of convincing to do.

Shane & Shane: Once upon a time, there were two bands, one was Shane and Caleb, the other was Shane and Xavier. Shane and Caleb spent a weekend on a ranch with my youth group leading worship. Shane and Xavier spent a week in Colorado with my youth group leading worship. I continued to follow both of them around obsessively. I could tell you a number of other stories of when I met or interacted with both Shanes, but they wouldn't remember a one, so it's not like we're buddies or anything. But they will always be one of my favorite bands, so when they came to my college, I had to do something special. When I approached Shave Everett's wife after the concert with cookies for the crew, she insisted I come hang out with all of them in the trailer, so Manny and I did, somewhat awkwardly, go enjoy their company and try to remind them of our shared history. (see Michelle, his wife, my boyfriend were all present, no scandal) They claimed they remembered me, I think they just enjoyed the cookies and didn't want me to take them away.

Between high school and college, I went to Jamaica to help build a workshop for this guy so he could have a steady stream of income. Guy and said shop were located in the neighborhood where Bob Marley grew up. The tenement yard where he lived is looked after by some of the guys he grew up with, where they've made a sort of Bob Marley museum. Georgie, who poured the porridge, still lives in the area and rode his bike back and forth between the tenement yard and the house that Bob Marley used as his recording studio in the center of town (which I also visited). So I actually ran into him a number of times. Emily didn't believe me, and I did have to qualify that he sure didn't talk or react much when we were introduced, I think he was a bit too, um, "zoned out" shall we say? So again, he would never remember me, but it happened, I swear.

The drummer from No Doubt was indeed married at the same hotel where I was married in Santa Barbara [so the hotel staff said]. In fact, the reason I heard about it was that before my wedding, he'd held the record for the largest wedding party they'd ever accommodated. Guess Manny and I just have more friends than they did ;) I never met him though. I believe Emily actually has a cooler No Doubt connection, perhaps she can share.

Day 4: This one is boring, the first time I was published was in fifth grade, for a piece I wrote about my best friend in fourth grade, but it was a poem, not a story.

Day 5: I did travel to Italy with my family, and my mom, sister and I were on a very tight schedule to catch our flight home. Rushing through the very crowded train terminal, arms filled with bags, my sister did indeed drop a bottle of wine that splattered all over the floor. But, irresponsible citizens that we were, we just left it and kept rushing, trying to calm her emotional distress, and somehow powered through boldly enough to make it to our flight on time. Sorry for the mess, fellow travelers!

3 comments:

  1. OK, so, ... Usually one gets permission before posting photos for the world to see! Red isn't Dad's best color; but he's pretty cute anyway, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry - I think y'all look wonderful. We hardly have a worlds worth of followers.

      Delete
  2. not sure that it's a cooler connection, but my dad graduated from the same high school as gwen stefani - but, you know, at a bit of an earlier date than her.

    ReplyDelete