Wednesday, February 29, 2012

reflections on leap year.

Happy Leap Day, Lobsters! Zoe suggested that I write a post specific to this festive day, and I accepted the challenge, only to realize that I just have some random thoughts on the day, nothing organized. But everything looks more organized in list form. Ready? Go!


1. I'm making dinner for some people at church on Leap Day, and I thought it would be cute to do something themey. But then I realized that Leap Day doesn't have a theme. My only thought was to make frog legs, but...ew. Plus frog legs wouldn't really make sense - legs unattached to a frog would only work for a Cannot Leap Day theme. 
2. So maybe Hallmark needs to come up with a mascot/decoration theme for Leap Day. You know, like Halloween has pumpkins and ghosts, Easter has the bunny, Valentine's has Cupid and hearts, Christmas has Santa and the baby Jesus, the 4th of July has flags and exploding things. I submit that unicorns should be there for Leap Day, and my reasons are threefold: Unicorns are rare, like this day that comes only every four years; Unicorns are marketable; and I like the word threefold.
3. Do you think it's extra cool to have a birthday on Leap Day, or is it lame? My guess is that it's extra cool. It's a fun fact, and when you're old and care about your age, you can tell people that you're 1/4 of your actual age. 
4. I feel extra pressure to have an awesome day on Leap Day. It's like I've been given this extra day to live (I know that's not actually true - it just feels like it), so I should do something spectacular with it. I'll probably just go to work, take care of Eiley, and cook for the church. But I should be solving world hunger, writing the next great American novel, or at least skydiving, right?
5. I feel like Groundhog's Day should have been called Leap Day. I mean, Leap Day would have made more sense since it's a special day, and time seems different or something. Just a thought. 


That is all.

2 comments:

  1. a) Wasn't that lame Amy Adams movie called "Leap Year"?(I wanted to see it until I saw the terrible reviews.)
    2) I think it would be awesome to have a Leap Day birthday. One of my former students was a Leap Day baby and she was a Jehovah's Witness. Poor kid's birthday came along once every 4 years, but she was never allowed to celebrate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take a peek at last week's episode of 30 Rock to address your question #2! "Leap Day William!" :-)

    ReplyDelete