Saturday, February 11, 2012

First Ever Lobster Contest! The REVEAL

Well, Lobsters. Our First Ever Lobster Contest of two truths and a lie has come to a close. And may I first say, you're all winners just for playing, you made for a very fun week for Emily and me! No. Sorry, you are not actually all winners. Some of you really did get more answers right than others. But it was fun! I especially got a kick out of an email from my mom this week:

"I didn't vote-- insider trading is illegal." -Big Mama


Awesome. Well, below are all our truths and half truths and full lies, with the lies underlined. If you want to give guessing a shot, click this link to see all the days together without the answers revealed. The final score tally is added up at the very end, so scroll down to find out who won!

Day ONE:

Emily:
1. My mom and my sister have both, without consulting each other and for different occasions, given me the beautiful gift of unicorn band-aids.
2. In elementary school, I once wrapped an avocado pit in paper I had colored and gave it to a friend as part of her birthday gift.
3. In junior high, I openly wept when my grandpa's wife gave me a pair of super girly, sparkly shoes for Christmas.


[In reality, I was much younger than junior high and my grandpa's wife gave me a poofy dress with a duck on it. And I didn't cry...on the outside.]

Zoe:
1. I once received two pet ducks as a gift for Easter. My parents let us keep them and their acid poop completely killed all the grass in our back yard. Their names were Daisy and Jemima.  
2. My family once got a pet cockatiel and named it "Wolfie" after Mozart. When Wolfie died after one week, my parents got us a replacement cockatiel, which we named "Wolfie two." Wolfie 2 also died after one week. That was the end of the cockatiels.
3. When my mother was pregnant with me, my dad suggested I be named "Dixie." The next day, my mother went to the pet store and bought a cocker spaniel. My dad was thrilled when she brought the dog home, until my mother announced, "the dog's name is Dixie." 


[true, but not my story, even though I did have a dog named Dixie]

Day TWO:

Emily:
1. Conan O'Brien held the door open for me at The Crepe Cafe at City Walk.
2. My husband asked Jimmy Fallon to kiss me and he complied.
3. I served Paul Walker ice cream and used that opportunity to touch his hand...twice.

[I did, however, see Conan's show in the brief time that it was in L.A. before NBC screwed him over.] 

Zoe:





1. While out for a pre-prom dinner, wearing her dress from my mother's prom, I was recruited by the same modeling agency that discovered Alexis Bledel (Rory from Gilmore Girls). 
2. Upon seeing an event ad I created featuring another city's mayor all around San Francisco City Center, Gavin Newsom became so jealous that he recorded a video of himself complaining about the ad (but also endorsing our nonprofit) to be played at the event.
3. When I went to hear Alvin Plantinga (described by Time magazine in 1980 as "America's leading orthodox Protestant philosopher of God"), he declared me to be his philosophical grand-daughter. 


[it happened, but the recruiters were from a different modeling agency]

Day THREE:

Emily:
1. I won second place in a singing competition at the Orange County Fair for my rendition of "Sweet Dreams" by the Eurythmics.
2. I have performed Will Smith's "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" and "Joyful, Joyful" fromSister Act in karaoke bars.
3. My most embarrassing moment thus far was when I auditioned for my college's gospel choir and accidentally tried to sing like Beyonce.


[I've never entered a singing contest, but I did win second place in a spelling bee at the fair. I lost with the word vitamin, which I spelled vitimin. Foolish child me.]

Zoe:
1. When Shane & Shane, natives of Texas, came to Westmont, I brought them cowboy cookies, a Texas dessert tradition, and hung out with them in their trailer after the concert. 
2. I met Georgie, of "No Woman, No Cry" by Bob Marley, in Trenchtown while doing PR work for a Bob Marley museum located in the government yard where Marley lived growing up. He rides a bike everywhere he goes and has dreadlocks down to his waist. 
3. On the afternoon of our wedding rehearsal, we met the drummer from No Doubt, Adrian Young, when he returned to the El Encanto, where he was also married, for a romantic getaway with his wife.

Day FOUR:

Emily:
1. I had my first sip of alcohol two days after my 21st birthday.
2. I had my first kiss after attending a ball my freshman year of college.
3. I got in my first fender bender three days after I got my first car.
[My first fender bender was a year after college. And it was really more of a their spare tire cover/my hood bender.]

Zoe:
1. The first time I was ever published was for a story I wrote in fifth grade about my best friend in fourth grade. 
2. The last position I played on a team sport was as a goalie for my high school lacrosse team.
3. My first and last performance as a professional actor was in the show, The Celebrant, when I was in third grade. 


[it was a poem, not a story]

Day FIVE:

Emily:
1. I used to be a certified archery rangemaster. 
2. I ate what I thought was bull's tail and turned out to be bull's testicles in Spain.
3. I slept at a bus stop in Ciampino Italy one windy night.
[I actually just ate bull's tail.]

Zoe:
1. The first summer after college, I was flown by private jet to be an au pair to a family with three girls in Colorado.
2. While I have ridden sail boats, motor boats, jet skiis, etc., I am actually really afraid of open waters. 
3. I missed a flight from Rome to the U.S. because my sister dropped a bottle of wine in the train station and we couldn't catch our connections on time. 

[almost missed that flight, but we just barely made it]

Score totals (out of 10 possible points):
Erin: 4 points
Kim: 3 points
Michelle, Mikkele and Tricia: 2 points
Jenny, Ieesha and Meredith: 1 point

Congratulations Erin! You're our first Lobster Winner! 
I (Emily) am particularly happy for Erin, who used to be my co-worker and now is just my friend. And who happens to already be coming over this week, so I get to save on postage! WOOOO! 


Feel free to try to stump us now, leave a comment with your own 2 truths & a a lie!

5 comments:

  1. As turn about is fair play, I decided to take you up on the "try to stump us" challenge. So here are mine:

    1. I have spent a day on the lake with Jamie Kennedy's first cousin and gone clubbing with Bill Nye the Science Guy's nephew.

    2. Filming of Evan Almighty took place in Richmond, VA while I was living there. I frequently went down town in hopes of seeing/meeting Steve Carrel and/or Morgan Freeman.

    3. Once at a concert, I met the lead singer's mom in the bathroom. She showed me her tattoo of the band's logo....that was on her butt. She bragged about being a very supportive mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dang it
    I should have done some background checks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. michelle, facebook message me with your mailing address. i would like to send you an honorary prize for lowest percentage of correct guesses.

      Delete