Monday, February 13, 2012

Movie Review Monday #37: Never Say Never

My sister and I set out to watch the Justin Bieber documentary in order to mock him. Lyrics like "baby, baby, baby, oh my baby, baby, baby" don't exactly inspire awe at a person's talent, let's be honest. And that was the only Bieber song I knew.


I am trying hard to not feel ashamed to tell you that I have respect for the Biebs now. Genuine, bona fide respect. Reasons why on earth that's true, and why you should stop making fun of him so much:


1. He's so freaking positive, happy go lucky, and fun. He's like a little puppy, wagging his tail, looking at you with big watery eyes, performing some cute little tricks. Mocking Justin would be like kicking that puppy. Don't kick the puppy, people.
2. He's actually talented. Sure, he sings some ridiculous songs and his albums are, in my opinion, way overproduced. But push all that aside and just listen to his voice. He can sing, play the guitar, play the drums, he's even a pretty good dancer. Example of the singing:

3. He's entertaining. This goes along with the previous two points, but I wanted to reiterate it.
4. He seems pretty down to earth. Of course, the documentarians probably edited the film to make him look as down to earth as possible, but they sure made it believable. He is a talented kid who happens to be world famous now. He still has homework and regular friends, he likes pulling lame pranks, and he's kind of a mama's boy. He even gets sick sometimes.
5. He worked hard to rise to this level. I mean, it took him an ENTIRE year to get discovered and then ANOTHER year to get a recording contract. Wow. Rough.
6. Seriously though, part of the reason he got so big so fast was because he was willing to go to radio stations across the country to sing, usually at weird times of the morning. And apparently a combination of twitter and teenage girls made him famous too.
7. Also seriously, this kid is fearless. I kept thinking that there are probably thousands of kids his age that have just as much talent as him but lack the courage to put themselves out there the way that he did. For example, apparently his manager told him not to sing for Usher when they first met, but then the first thing out of his mouth was basically "Nice to meet you, Usher. Can I sing one of your songs for you?" Gusto!

So I guess I might lose a lot of Lobster respect (if there was any remaining after this and this, that is), but I have to end with two enthusiastic claws up. Feel free to mock me openly in the comments. And if you don't have Valentine plans tomorrow, I encourage you to put on a glow necklace, throw your hair in a scrunchy, paint your nails different colors, and swoon over the Biebs. And don't forget to tweet about it.

7 comments:

  1. It's probably no secret that I love the Biebs, and I should probably watch this movie. But... do you think he sounds like Rihanna? I honestly can't tell them apart on the radio. Weird, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I remembered you liking him and you should definitely watch this film. I've never noticed the Rihanna similarity...mostly because I don't listen to any stations that play her or the Biebs. But I definitely think he sounds like a young black woman, so that seems accurate.

      Delete
    2. You have much better taste in music than I do. I listen to nothing but pop and Christian contempo. These are not things I admit to most people.

      Delete
  2. Those lyrics are worse than you think...the song goes, "And I was like, baby, baby baby, oooh, like baby baby baby..." Brilliant!! But I am totally a fan. He was hilarious on SNL too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily,
    Quite frankly, I wrote a blog post about how amazing Justin Bieber was about a year ago. I've only lost respect for you for the simple fact that it's taken you this long to get with the program.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Miss Kim. I knew I could count on your support in this matter. :)

      Delete