Tuesday, December 6, 2011

White . . . Thanksgiving?





Not that I even expect my Christmas to be white, but I must admit I was a little thrown to get a white THANKSGIVING this year! 

After some of my family's favorite breakfast, piggies-in-a-blanket and scrambled eggs with cheese, we headed out for a walk in the woods. 

Despite the fact that this is a walk Sofia and I take every couple of days, it felt brand new even for us, as we were introducing my family to our little routine. 

Everything was blanketed in white, the water was frosted over, and the sound of the wood was both dampened and freshly crunchy. 

The chaos of a busy kitchen awaiting us wafted away so quickly as we wandered through the peaceful woods. 


doesn't it just look like glitter raining down?

There was something magical about this Thanksgiving. I think it has something to do with the magic of Sofia. Despite the fact that it was the first time my family had all been in Maine together, there was something profoundly integrating about the experience. I grew up traipsing through woods with my family in Conroe, eating snow with my lil sis in Winter Park, watching my mom work wonders in the kitchen. And while There was a sense in which this Thanksgiving was all new, it seemed at the same time to be a synthesis of some of the most special moments, places, and people in my life.



Back from the woods, we got into the kitchen and got to work. Everything seemed to come along seamlessly, and even in a relaxing way, despite having six cooks in the kitchen. [likely due to my mother's culinary wizardry] So we leisurely prepared the meal. With multiple appetizers to keep us satiated, it was no problem when the turkey needed an extra hour to cook. We were all able to just enjoy the time together. Of course it did not hurt having Sofia for entertainment.





Eventually we were all able to sit down for a lovely meal together. And not too soon after, because this is how far north we live, we enjoyed a beautiful sunset just outside our windows. Despite a toddler running all around, this was one of the more peaceful Thanksgivings I can remember. Perhaps it had something to do with this integration of life experiences and people coming together, perhaps that made this holiday feel like home. Perhaps that means Maine is becoming home to me. 



2 comments:

  1. i love looking at pictures of snow. it's so beautiful when i can't feel it biting me.

    this sounds like a wonderful thanksgiving! also, i would like to see some new sofi videos soon please. k thanks.

    ReplyDelete