Friday, December 16, 2011

what the...

Recently, I've noticed that there are things that I like about living here in Virginia. I hope that, due to my many posts of disdain against this place, you just audibly gasped. But I have to be honest that I really like the following:

  • The weather has been mostly delightful this month. Today it is 67 degrees with clear skies and a cheerful sun. I simply cannot complain about that.
  • Last night, Jeff and I took a couple of friends to the Norfolk Botanical Gardens to drive through their Christmas lights exhibit. At first, we were just mildly impressed. It was kind of like riding It's a Small World without the creepy dolls and obnoxious song. And in a car instead of a boat. And everything was made of lights instead of clapboard decor. Okay, maybe it wasn't like It's a Small World at all. Anyway, we started getting very impressed when we passed the dragon who was breathing lights in the shape of fire onto a tree and then they had some cool lighting on the tree to make it look like it was on fire. And then we approached the section that synced with the music on the radio. We drove up right as Trans-Siberian Orchestra's "Christmas Canon" began. It BLEW OUR MINDS. Please read that aloud and yell, because we sure were yelling in the car. (A note: Botanical Gardens, even lightless, are always something I love about Virginia. They're a delight.)
  • This year, I haven't been able to participate in a volunteer day at the Salvation Army that Regent goes to. I went the last two years, and I didn't realize just how much I love that day until I missed it this year. It was awesome to get to miss work to serve in the community while simultaneously getting to know new people from Regent. And it also tricked me into exercising for a day. 
  • This year, I also missed Regent's Christmas party. The last two years, this has consisted of a kind of variety show in the main stage theater followed by delicious appetizers and a raffle. My first year here, the variety show included a performance from VIP, the Varsity Improv Players. I was fairly new at Regent, and most of my office referred to me as "the quiet girl." So it was double awesome when they asked for a volunteer and without thinking, my hand shot up - I got to perform (ehhh, it counts) on the main stage before Jeff, and my co-workers started to realize that maybe I wasn't as quiet as they originally thought.
  • I love my church and the friends that we've made here. But I've said that all along. 
  • We obtained these here: 
  • My sister got this here:
(She got married. Or she got a husband. Or she got photographed by Sang You.)
FYI, this isn't like some hint that we're going to stay here or something. California has about a thousand percent more appeal to me still. I'm just saying that maybe it's not all bad here in Virginia. 

4 comments:

  1. very nice silver lining:)... and I agree with those lovely "things" that virginia has supplied... well said honey xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. so glad to hear VA has finally made itself not completely repulsive to you ;) thanks for sharing this post!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha. you were the quiet girl. that's funny

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm totally putting that picture of Jenna and her hair in my fake portfolio.

    ReplyDelete