Monday, December 19, 2011

Movie Review Monday #31: Debatable Christmas Movies

Like many other events and seasons, I like to get in the mood and emotionally prepare with some good movie watching. This includes Christmas, but in my home, this always becomes quite controversial. While there is an endless slue of movies clearly created only to take advantage of people's desperation to get away from their families during the Christmas season by watching other people's families experience disaster/heartwarming/heartbreak/hilarity, (or maybe just healthy nostalgia and sense of tradition - our little family loves It's a Wonderful Life, Family Man, Elf, and A Christmas Story) apparently there are several movies that have become traditions in my heart around this season, but are not necessarily universally considered "Christmas movies." So I present to you a list of some of my Questionably-Christmas-y-Regulars, and ask you to tell me, do they count? Here I make my case(s):


1) Little Women
Emily, are you laughing at me yet? Thought so. Ok, honestly, I'm just always in the mood for this movie. But there are multiple Christmas scenes, so as the days get shorter and lights twinkle a little brighter, I love using the season as another excuse to watch a film I love.


2) The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
"It's always winter, and never Christmas." But, **spoiler alert**, St. Nick eventually breaks through and everyone gets presents that help them win the day. Also, when you grow up in Texas and never see snow except in Christmas movies, movies with lots of snow kinda count at Christmas movies, regardless of other aspects of their content.


3) Nightmare Before Christmas
Ok, it's got Christmas in the title. Probably, it is more of a Halloween or just general "holiday" film, but Christmas is definitely in there. Also, my husband really appreciates this one, and needs a good reason like holidays to make sure it doesn't just get dusty on the shelf. But due to it's somewhat in-between thematic nature, sometimes it gets lost in the shuffle. Sorry, Honey! Help us out - if you call it a true Christmas film, it might climb up the priorities ladder.


4) You've Got Mail
Again, a bit in the category of Little Women. I was disappointed with this one when it first came out, but I've watched it while snuggled up with my hubby enough times that it has quickly climbed to the top of my list. Again, like with the snow in Narnia, I think there's something about the emphasis on the beauty of the seasons changing that makes me feel like I should watch it around Christmas time.


side note: Oddly enough, with all these associations of Christmas being white, I finally live in a state where that is possible, but we're flying away for the holidays, so if it is white, we'll miss it.


5) Serendipity
Honestly, this film bugs me a bit, just like "The Holiday," and yet, Christmas rolls around and I'm just itching to watch it. Manny is adamant that this is not a Christmas film. But I saw it in theaters while on Christmas break, there's the whole scene of them picking out gloves as a Christmas present, so . . . maybe?


Alright, Lobsters, what do you say? Am I just off my rocker? Do I get a few allowances here? Any movies you have to watch around Christmas that are questionable?

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to say You've Got Mail is the biggest stretch here... as in, no way is it a Christmas movie. And yet, I feel like Serendipity kind of is?

    ReplyDelete