Saturday, December 31, 2011

Traditioooon! TRADITION. (New Year's Eve Edition.)

Zoe and I used to be part of a New Year's Eve tradition with a big group of college friends. It has since kind of died for a lot of us (though I'd like to think that some day we'll all be able to bring it back) because we are all scattered across the country. But it counts as a tradition since we kept it up for over four years. Here's the run down:


Everyone met at the Nadlers' house. They have the most beautiful, peaceful, welcoming house on the West Coast, in my humble opinion. [I would like to second that motion.] Plus it's located in Danville, which is adorable. Danville has a tree. That's what they're most proud of. Isn't that precious? 

Not the least of the Nadlers' hospitality skilz is their amazing culinary art. All of them, even their dog Shadow. Ok, maybe not so much Shadow, though that sweet dog sure helped keep the floors a bit cleaner. The thought of New Years approaching just gets my mouth watering for tri-tip and my heart longing for great conversation around their kitchen island.


We played games. So many games: Telephone Pictionary, Catchphrase, Prince Edward Island Monopoly, Scrabble, and more. One time we played Apples to Apples for four hours. 


Yeah, I was serious. We have a Canadian amongst us.
Also, we watched movies. Sometimes at the same time as playing games. Two movie moments from these gatherings are particularly strong in my memory:

1) We were watching the opening credits to a movie, I want to say it was Juno, and Jeff, the theater artist of the group, kindly mentioned how he appreciates it if people not talk during the opening credits because of how important they are for setting the tone for the film. I believe I proceeded to attempt to launch a conversation on the importance of opening credits, as they rolled, along with Jeff's eyes. Sorry, Jeff! I was just trying to connect. Fail. 

2) One New Years, Manny and I had an awful awful stomach flu. So bad, we missed out on all our Christmas parties, but we could not forgo that Nadlers' house gathering, that would have been sacrilegious, so we dragged ourselves out to the East Bay. While we were technically present, we spent most of the time asleep in bed. Somehow, we managed to slump out of bed to watch the ball drop, all bleary eyed. Emily then so compassionately suggested the post-midnight movie selection be Amelie, because it was a favorite of the two sickies. I believe we fell asleep about 96 seconds into the viewing, but the memory of it starting is about the most vivid memory of that event.

One of my favorite parts of the evening was always the Baked Alaska. That, my friends, is dessert that you light on fire. What could be better? We'd turn off all the lights in the house and light that sucker up. It was beautiful and delicious.So beautiful. So delicious.

Our scattering afar was gradual and inevitable. I remember our last gathering, Emily was already on the other coast, as was part of the Nadler clan, but they still celebrated in parallel. When their midnight approached, we Skyped in and did the count down all together. Emily and company then proceeded to do a New Years Dance for us over Skype and that was awesome. 

Last New Years, the tradition had ended, but I got to see Emily and Jeff just before the year was out. Gathered together at a very very noisy BJ's, my belly great with child, trying to ignore the contractions, I heard Jeff say, "So, you're pregnant." I was getting this comment alot, and it was getting a bit stale. I thought Jeff was better than that. But I smiled and gave an obligatory, "heh, yeah." In response to which I got this very intense blank stare. The kind of stare that lets you know you've missed something. I think the conversation actually just moved on a bit awkwardly until a minute or so later, I realized I had not heard him correctly. "Wait, what did you say a minute ago?" "We're pregnant" "?!?!WHAT?!?!?" Not that anyone could hear my wild yelling and exclamation over that din. I've never been so embarrassed/shocked/thrilled all in one moment. And that my friends, is the story of how Eiley and Sofia first met, bumpin' bellies. And a new long distance friendship was born. Not a bad way to wrap up a good tradition, eh? At least for now . . . 


Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot
And auld lang syne?

For auld lang syne, my dear,
For auld lang syne,
We'll tak a cup o' kindness yet
For auld lang syne!

Happy New Year's Eve, Lobsters!

No comments:

Post a Comment