Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Nervousness.

A human is going to come out of me sometime soon. How weird is that? Yeah, it happens every day, but it's still weird to me. I've had mixed emotions about having a child - I usually start with dread because we are so not ready for a baby (mostly just financially, but that's something I tend to worry about most so it seems to loom extra), and that cycles to guilt for feeling dread because the baby is a blessing and I should feel wholly grateful, thrilled, joyful, [pick a happy adjective] about her. Last week I had a lovely realization that far less competent people have had children who turned out fine, so we should be okay too. But I still have some concerns, and I thought I'd throw them out there to you, Lobsters:

1. I'm afraid I'm going to become a different person. Lack of sleep will make me grumpy, hormones will make me super sentimental, or I'll turn into one of those people who only talks about what their kid did that day. I already struggle to not talk about my dog too much. I'm hoping that the baby will do even more interesting things than him, but then I run the risk of boring people with anecdotes about poop and drool.
2. Speaking of dog, I'm ever so slightly afraid that my child won't be as adorable as my Buster. In fact, if I don't think Eiley is cute, I won't say that aloud because that is socially unacceptable, but I will lean forward conspiratorially and whisper "...we know" when people first meet her. That's right - I have an ugly baby contingency plan. (We will very likely still love her, don't worry.)

...and he's not photogenic.
3. Collectively, Jeff and I know nothing about infants. We went to a "Parenting Your Newborn" class last night and learned a little, but I'm fairly certain that watching a Powerpoint is not real preparation for having a child. I have changed approximately one diaper in my life and I've never dressed a Squirmy McSquirmerson, so things are about to get slapstick in my house. I think this will be hilarious for the most part, so my concern here is mostly that people will laugh at me and I'll get defensive, or they'll criticize me and I'll cry or hit them back with some snark. I guess this goes back to not wanting to become a grumpy jerk.
4. I will be working full time after a little bit of short term disability (yeah, no maternity leave here - this baby is considered a disability). I'm nervous about juggling work with baby. My office is definitely working with me to make it as easy as possible, but without the possibility of paying for childcare, easy is not really going to be an option. I am pre-grateful for the friends who have expressed a desire to help out and the husband who is going to be super involved and my sister who I'm certain will be a super aunt.
5. Let's revisit point one. I'm seriously nervous about the lack of sleep portion of that. In my mind, I will not be sleeping for the next eighteen years or so. I love sleep, and I'm going to miss it like whoa. This is a selfish point. Feel free to judge me.

Any future parent Lobsters feel this way? Or is it all sunshine and excitement and basketball tummies?

1 comment:

  1. 1. felt that
    2. if I'd been lucky enough to have a dog, would have felt that - I did worry that I just wouldn't think she was cute
    3. we knew so little about infants, that when they told us to bring a "newborn sized doll" to the parenting class to practice diapering, we had no idea what to bring
    4. i was nervous about NOT working - but totally feel you as best i can, not having been in those shoes
    5. felt that. still feeling that. i'm a 9 hours/night kinda gall - 3 hour stints did not sound appealing to me. no sugar coating that one - prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

    very thankful to you for being honest for the realities of pregnancy so others of us, who feel out of place for what are very typical feelings, know we're not alone.

    ReplyDelete