Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Difficult Questions: Part Two

Yesterday I confessed that I’ve been struggling with my identity as a female Christian parent. I shared some of the questions and answers that were more unsettling than satisfying for me. The more I asked questions and heard answers; I was able to refine what I was really looking for:

As a mom, what is my spiritual calling? How am I contributing to Kingdom economy by taking care of my baby? What I needed to know was weather I was actually fulfilling my calling in the simple act of loving my daughter. Could there really be purpose in changing poopy diapers, cleaning spit up, feeding my baby for so many hours in the day that I can get little else done? Or did I need to figure out how to add on to that with other ministry efforts in order to be a truly faithful Christian. 

I spent weeks worrying, praying, reading, discussing these questions without finding resolution. I ended up taking on a ministry role, in hopes that this would help assuage my anxieties. That was a great experience, but my anxieties would not be assuaged.

Mothers’ day weekend rolled around. Manny and I went to a Barnes and Noble. We grabbed coffees, and he left me there while he took Sofia to shop for my mothers’ day gift. Little did he know, leaving me alone, well caffeinated, in the comforting quiet of a bookstore might have been the greatest mothers’ day gift he could have given me.

Fully relaxed and well stimulated, I barely made it more than fifteen feet in nearly two hours as I took my time browsing through magazines and books. In the course of my splendid exploration, I stumbled upon a book about mothering. One piece that stuck out to me was her encouragement about the value of a mother’s presence with her children.

Having worked with children who have been in and out of the foster care system, I know the value of the presence of a mother all too well. So this author’s words rang very true. But they also got me thinking about this word, “Presence.”

You might be familiar with Brother Lawrence. This is a monk who had to wash dishes for the monastery for most of his life. Pretty mundane, tedious work. A little like changing diapers perhaps? As he sought to find worth in what he was doing day in and day out, he wrote a book called The Practice of the Presence of God, about becoming aware of the presence of God in all things.

As I put all these pieces together [aka the Holy Spirit worked in my heart], I realized that I did indeed believe that God is glorified when I am present for my daughter. It brings Him joy when I love and care for her. If I am to strive to do all things to the glory of God, and I know with absolute certainty that God is glorified when we love Him, and love our neighbor [including our own children], then the work I'm doing has value, great Kingdom value. This gave me incredible peace.

[note: An important thing about calling is not to apply someone else's calling to your own life - so please don't take my quest for peace as a dictate on your life. I don't believe any truths I discovered say anything about work/motherhood balance or what even I will do with my career in the years to come, only that there is value in the time I do spend with my daughter right now. My hope is that you would seek out what the Holy Spirit is leading you to - which is a very personal thing.]

Thank you Geoff, this was an important challenge to answer. I believe I’ll be a better mom, and a better Kingdom citizen for having wrestled this out! Gotta run, I've got a baby to feed!

2 comments:

  1. Oooh I have lots of thoughts! Hope it is ok to have a lengthy, opinionated response... I think one of the hardest concepts for me to grasp is the value of a good long-term investment. If I look at the stock market, for example, I "get it" that letting the money sit there for years in a good place and grow slowly is a good strategy. But the slowness of the process is hard for me. Mothering requires oodles of mundane tasks that, if carried out regularly, will result in an incredible person down the road. Like you said, watching the foster care system is proof that a "present" parent can make a world of difference. We live in an instant results culture- you and I have from the beginning b/c computers were already here when we entered school. Is diaper changing really holy work? Does it matter in the kingdom economy if we could be leading a Bible study for new believers? One shows instant results and the other requires several thousand diaper changes and several years to see results. But I believe with all my heart that every minute with our kids delights the Lord. He wouldn't have gifted you with Sofia if He didn't want her to be your primary ministry (in addition to being Manny's wife). I also have decided that the first year of life is an incredibly needy one! She won't always be this consuming of your time and energy. She'll learn to crawl and find things to play with, she'll learn to feed herself and eat less frequently, and soon she'll be saying "I do it!!" I think God gives us grace to zoom in on this new little creature for a while and then find our outlets for other ministries as the kiddos become more independent. She will need to see you serving others the way that you long to when she is older and watching your every move. But for now her greatest need is seeing you serve her needs.

    Thanks for sharing your journey through this! It helps me think about it, too!

    ReplyDelete