Sunday, June 19, 2011

Zoe's Fathers' Day in 3 Acts

Happy Fathers' Day Lobsters!

I'm lucky this year to have three dads to honor. You've each overcome challenges and raised the bar on how to love your children. I am so blessed to have you in my life!

Here are the handsome fellas:

Pop-in-law, Leo
me, 6 months pregnant,
Leo, showing that his belly is still bigger than mine
 If I were ever to play sports again, I would want you for my coach. You are an uplifting leader who breaks a good sweat and knows how to keep a team moving towards success [unless that team is the Raiders I guess ;) ] I love hearing your stories and talking about all your interesting philosophical questions around the breakfast table or as we walk along the coast. I might not really be able to claim you as my "dad" - but you have a very very special place in my heart!

Big Papa
Big Papa holding Sofia and a picture of himself with lil me, when he was still just "Daddy"
My own father won't let me call him "Dad" anymore - his identity is now in his grandfatherhood of my little Sofia, so I have to call him by his grandfather name, "Big Papa." Because of our daddy-daughter dates on my birthday, our trips to Goode Co. in the middle of a sweaty yard-work day, jamming to 80's hits in his studio, our moment of near tears just before he walked me down the isle, and as he sat with a worried yet encouraging face watching me go through contractions at the hospital the day Sofia was born - He's MY amazing daddy. But I've also seen him be an amazing father-to-the-fatherless, and I'm happy to be able to share him with others (especially Sofia) because God works through him so powerfully that way.

My Manny
Oh boy. I just tear up when I try to think of what to say. Remember your first Father's Day? The day we told all our friends that we were pregnant? It is hard to believe we could be this much more happy, celebrating your second Father's day. But we have so much joy in our daughter because of the amazing way that you father her. Because you leap out of bed as soon as she cries, no matter how deeply you were sleeping. Because the sight of you brings the biggest smile to her face. Because you hold and care for her when I've run out of the strength. Because every week you read little bits and pieces about her development. Because you make her laugh - thereby creating my favorite sound in the universe. Because you do so much to love and care for me so that I have strength and love for her. I believe Sofia already knows how blessed she is to have you, but since she doesn't quite have the words yet, from the two of us - to you, and to all my Dads, 

Happy Fathers' Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment