Monday, June 20, 2011

Movie Review Monday #5.5: Top Ten Challenge Accepted

 Ok, Pyg, it was too fun reading your top ten(ish) post, so I'm going to accept your challenge to come up with my own. Not easy! [I can't possibly order them, so I shall count them by letter instead.] There may be a little cheating involved. Here goes.

A) Inception
Inception (Two-Disc Edition) [Blu-ray]
I have been one of those super nerdy Matrix fans for over a decade. In case you doubt me, know that one of my wedding gifts from the person that knows me better than anyone, my husband, was the complete 10 disc box set of Matrix movies. Those commentaries introduced me to Cornell West, who I just adore.
I mean look at him, how can this guy not inspire admiration and respect?
Sorry, you're wondering how my obsession with the Matrix and Cornell West has anything to with Inception? I'm just trying to point out that my devotion was strong. And when I saw Inception, I had to admit that a new movie had outdone my old favorite. Emily, I know you totally disagree with me on this. You detested Inception, and you are entitled to your taste. But what I loved about the Matrix's philosophical bent was filled out with equally profound psychological insight in Inception. I finally felt like someone had out done the action/graphics of the Matrix, not just a poor attempt to replicate it. I would also just like to sneak in there that Inception covers most of what I had loved and appreciated about Vanilla Sky as well. So in one movie, I'm actually getting to mention five. I'm such a cheater. 


B) [or f, depending on how you're counting] The English Patient
The English Patient (Miramax Collector's Edition)
It is visually beautiful. The literary quality is genius. Michael Ondaatje, who wrote the novel the movie is based on, is absolutely one of my favorite authors. His Sri Lankan roots free him of the canned Western story-telling formulas to allow him to explore the true depth of human character and broader themes in a profound way. The movie might have actually done the book some justice in this case.

C) Snow Falling on Cedars
Snow Falling on Cedars
Speaking of movies doing justice to books, I think no movie I've ever seen has done better than this one. It doesn't hurt that Ethan Hawke was one of my girlhood celebrity crushes. This is an amazing story that gave me my first introduction to the Japanese Internment, and explores the heartbreak of racism in such a beautiful way. The aesthetic quality is stunning too. The truly profound forgiveness that takes place from so many angles in this story makes watching it it a rich and uplifting experience.

D) Amelie
Amélie
How many times did we watch this one together, Pyg? It's just so fun and colorful and clever. Audrey Tautou is precious. It has fun polka music. It has photo-booth adventures. And there are gnomes.

E) Little Women
Little Women (Collector's Series)
Confession: When my OB did an ultrasound where she thought my baby might be a boy, I started to cry. All my life I had wanted a baby boy. But suddenly, I was so upset because I would not have a little girl to read Little Women to. Emily laughs her face off every time she sees this one because crying-Claire-Danes apparently does not quite sell it for her. I on the other hand, am ALWAYS in the mood for this movie. Always. And like Jo, I found myself a professor to marry and grow old with. Manny - you might have this movie (/book) to thank for our marriage. ;)

F) Pride & Prejudice
Pride & Prejudice
Emily pretty much covered this one. Also, I'm a sucker for Keira Knightley. Pretty much always in the mood for this one too. I'm also delighted that most men I talk to really love this film too - helping Pride and Prejudice finally bridge the gender gap [see You've Got Mail for more on that topic].

G) The Prestige
The Prestige
It would just be cliche for me to put The Dark Knight into my top ten, everyone says that's the best movie ever. And yes, it was amazing. But honestly, The Prestige is one I find myself choosing to watch much more often. Maybe I enjoy a good mystery or twist. Apparently I'm quite the Christopher Nolan fan (Memento would have made my top ten about 7 years ago), though I must say he made one or two super weird ones before he really found his groove. 

H) The Village
The Village (Widescreen Vista Series)
I feel like it's so uncool, or at best controversial to be into M. Knight for some reason, but I really love some of his work. Like I said, I enjoy a good twist. [things really went ary when he made "The Happening" though - oh boy - please avoid that one!] The Village is my favorite. Joaquin Phoenix pre-crazy is beautiful, and this was an amazing debut for Bryce Dallas Howard. The subtle artful power of a few of the moments in this film bring me to tears without fail. I especially appreciate a love story where the damsel does not just wallow in her distress, but plays an active role as heroine to her hero so that together they win the day. Which brings me to my next favorite . . .

I) Wall-E
Wall-E (Single-Disc Edition)
Can I just use this as a representative to express how much I love pretty much all Pixar films? I lived in the Bay Area, I worked in Emeryville (home of Pixar - each movie has a subtle reference to little bits of the area), one of the guys from the lighting team went to our church [we got to cheer out-loud in the theater each time we saw his name in the credits - so cool]. I can't NOT be obsessed with Pixar. I am always so disappointed when I find a film intriguing and watch the commentary only to find out that the directors did not actually put that much thought into it and I was giving it more credit than it was due [unfortunately Inception falls under this category if you watch Leo's commentary on it - man that guy didn't get it]. This does not happen with Pixar. In Wall-E, we get a great heroine-strong-love-story, sci-fi, throw back to old-timey movies, and a good lesson about stewardship. It's hard to say which Pixar is my favorite, UP would be a close runner up (yay Fenton's!), Monsters, Inc. and Finding Nemo would also make the list, but for now we'll stick with this one.

J) Where the Wild Things Are
Where the Wild Things Are [Blu-ray]
I am pretty sure this film was made for men [not boys - despite what you might assume, this is not a kids film]. But can I love it anyways? In my masters in social work program, I fell in love with the power of play therapy, and in this movie, Dave Eggers [of whom I am a huge fan - seeing him speak in person at Berkeley was a highlight of my time in the Bay Area!] has projected an amazing play therapy series onto the big screen, using a classic children's book as a jumping off point. It is visually gorgeous. The music is delightful. It is inspired. 

5 comments:

  1. A. Inception had too much exposition. But I admit that the zero gravity fight scene was absolutely awesome.
    B. Never seen it.
    C. Never seen it.
    D. Love, love, love it!
    E. Hahahaha..."why does everybody have to go awaaaay?"
    F. Yes!
    G. Saw it, but don't remember much since I saw it around the same time as The Illusionist and I couldn't tell you which was which if I wanted to.
    H. I saw this when I was in Spain. It was called "El Bosque" there, which means The Forest, oddly enough. It was pretty good.
    I. Another disagree. I thought Wall-E was a bit boring, though I love all of Pixar's other major works. Up was probably my fave.
    J. Never seen it.

    Man, it looks like I have some movie watching to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was pretty shocked with the outcome of your list, but after reading your explanation about Inception I understand what happened here. You told me that you cheated. And now I see how :)

    Also, I think Where the Wild Things Are is certainly something that kids can watch. I just think that adults, and maybe men, can appreciate it much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In no particular order

    1. To Kill a Mockingbird
    2. The Rainmaker
    3. Bourne series
    4. Lady and the Tramp
    5. Anything Pixar
    6. A Beautiful Mind
    7. Life is Beautiful
    8. White Christmas
    9. Pirates of the Caribbean
    10. The In-Laws (the original version)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily - yes, the Illusionist was one of the biggest shames for The Prestige, it got lost in the confusion and really deserved much more of its own attention. Also, apparently MSN agrees with me that Wall-E was the best Pixar, so, there's that. ;)
    Manny - agreed, kids can watch - the best children's stories are good for all of us
    Libby - Bourne! nice! I also got that as a wedding gift. Just couldn't fit it in the top 10.

    ReplyDelete
  5. libby - the rainmaker! YES. i was absolutely obsessed with matt damon when i was in high school as a direct result of that film.

    ReplyDelete