Thursday, June 16, 2011

Virtual Baby Shower

Most people (including myself) would think that living across the country from a friend means you obviously can't throw them a baby shower when they're expecting. For example, when Zoe was pregnant, I simply arranged for our college friends to pool our money to mail her a bunch of gifts. Sure, that was a nice thought - but it was practically rude compared to what Zoe did for me.


Last Sunday, Zoe arranged a virtual baby shower. She mailed out party packs in advance to the guests (ten college friends from around the country) that included glasses to decorate and game pieces. She arranged for gifts to be mailed in time to open at the shower. She upgraded her Skype account to accommodate a conference call. And she did all this while being an amazing mother/wife/etc and starting this blog with me. I'm starting to think she has learned how to function with a complete lack of sleep.


The shower was amazing! We started out by briefly updating each other on our lives, then we played baby-themed mad gabs and a round of telephone pictionary, and we wrapped things up with Jeff and me opening gifts. Except for the occasional technical blip, it was just like being in the same room at a regular, fun baby shower. The fact that we were on Skype just made it extra creative and memorable. So BAM...there's your intense, tangible example of long distance friendship, Lobsters. I recommend using this idea - it would work for other things too, like bridal showers or birthday parties.

2/3 of the party!
Nathan, who had the most impressively decorated glasses

2 comments:

  1. "rude" is the last word you need to use in association with pulling gifts together for Sofia. It was so sweet and thoughtful, and if I'd just done the same thing, I would have been lazy. You raised the bar, so I had to follow suit. I'm glad you enjoyed the shower and I hope others are able to make use of the idea!!

    ReplyDelete