Saturday, January 21, 2012

Flashback! The fourth.

10/4/2004

Spain:  The week of the tests

Well, I didn´t really do much last week except study for tests and then take them (for those of you who didn´t know, I´m actually here for school and not just vacation...although last week was the first time I put any concerted effort into academia since I´ve been here). 

This lack of activity lends me the space with which to properly tell you a little tale of salsa without losing your interest.  Awesome.

On Wednesday night, Seth, Rob, Lilit, Tyler, and I were journeying toward Salsa class.  We had just come from Bible Study and were discussing that week´s topic (what I´m doing here is giving you background so you know that we´re all good, innocent Christian kids).

Upon arrival at the studio, Giovani immediately set us to moving our hips. Soon, he added the full circular movement of the...uhh...pelvic area.  (Don´t be grossed out, people.  You know what I mean.)  After this, he tells us to pair up and pretend we´re in a discoteca.  Seth and I approached each other and awkwardness ensued.  Giovani turned off the lights and demonstrated, with a rather shocked and embarrassed Lilit, how we should be dancing.  It was a bit freaky, he told us not to be shy or embarrassed.  The awkwardness peaked.  Seth and I have become very close friends, but by no means do I want to get freaky/jiggy with him.  I stood there and kind of wiggled like a kid who needs to go to the bathroom and achieved my desired result of laughter, which slightly broke the awkwardidity.  Then Giovani reprimanded me, and this conversation followed (except in Spanish):

"You will never learn to dance well in a discoteca if you can´t even do it in the studio" - Giovani
"Okay, but I don´t even like going to discotecas and I probably never WILL like going to discotecas." - Me
"What do you do if you don´t go to discotecas?" - Giovani
"I don´t know...there´s other stuff to do though." - Me
"Like what?  Do you go to the cafe, drink coffee, and go to bed early?" - Giovani
"Actually, I don´t like coffee." - Me

That was my last salsa class.  I´m not going back.

The end.

Love you all!
Emily

10/4/2004

Hi Pyg!

Freaky salsa instructor.  :(  So this seth person - is he - special?  And also - will you please grow up and be a writer someday? I will buy lots and lots of copies of every book if you do!  I really would. You would be so amazing. I'll even get more intense about pursuing photography if you will! Cause you are so good and engaging.  Is it a deal?  Great. :)  glad that's settled. 

And also, i continue to love my life where the exciting thing is that i get to watch like 5 episodes of FRIENDS every day :)  I had a really nice - very feminine - weekend. I made chicken/vegetable soup from scratch [broth and everything], i cooked every meal for my roommates, i read jane austin [i LOVE Mansfield park SO much!!], i cleaned, i went shopping and spent too much [but i got a super awesome frame for this amazing oil painting rebekah gave me which looks oh so much better framed], i had a double date which involved chocolate fondu [mmmm!] - [ and also Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind by the way - did you ever see that? Oh my gosh i forgot how good it was!].  And you must be so uninterested.  Around a week from now i'll have more exciting adventures to report i'm sure, as my parents are coming in town this weekend so they can see my new place and spend some time with Manny on his turf instead of theirs.  Should give me something to talk about!  Sorry to bore you so much.  But i love you and i hope you  have recovered from the salsa disaster!

-z

1 comment:

  1. Reading this, I continue to wonder how I had a reputation as an aggressive feminist on campus?!? Where DID Kerby get that from?!?

    ReplyDelete