Wednesday, January 25, 2012

moving. or: an exercise in not freaking out.

So, we're moving to California soon (just thought I'd throw that out there in case someone somehow missed it, as unlikely as that seems), and I am trying hard to trust that God is going to help us get everything together smoothly. I have some moments of lovely, peaceful trust. But other moments, my brain does this:

Figure out how to ship Buster.
Make reservation to ship cars.

Get a new job. 

Work out child care. (Hey, any California Lobsters want to be severely underpaid to watch an adorable Eiley full time? Part time? Hello?) 
Find a place to live that is somehow central to where I work, where Eiley is cared for, and where Jeff works - wherever any of that may be.
Sell any unnecessary stuff here in Virginia.

Determine which moving company to use, making sure they provide storage as well.

Repaint walls of apartment while trying to remember how much we enjoyed having not white walls the whole time we lived here.

Move.

Remain calm.

It's funny that I am capable of freaking out so much. It's ridiculous even. God has proven himself faithful over and over to me and Jeff, so why do I think things will be any different this time? Silly human me, stop worrying! I wish, instead, that my mind would Pollyanna up and do this:

We're going to California, where most of my family is, where we have a lot of great friends, where we love our church, and where the weather is beautiful a vast majority of the time. How exciting that I'll get to learn a new job, whatever it might be, and I wonder what great opportunities Jeff will encounter now that he has his degree and is somehow an even better actor than he used to be. Life is sunshine and happiness and unicorns and jelly beans and Lisa Frank stickers!

Okay, maybe some of that was overkill. And maybe you people should pray for me. 

7 comments:

  1. What a trial to move cross country with an infant! What a blessing to be heading home. I trust you to be able to master this like you always do. I trust God to guide you like He always does. And I am praying through it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, I don't know how to change a diaper. However, if Eiley needs watching and giggles when I'm not at work, then I'd be happy to play with her (as long as I either learn the diaper thing or she promises not to do that gross stuff)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh I just read this and I looooooove it. Parker and I are moving back to Seattle this summer. We don't have jobs, and we have a cat (not an infant, so obviously not quite as difficult). We have always ALWAYS been taken care of in the past, so why am I worrying about it now? I'll be praying for you, mostly to get my mind off me:) Amy Fox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooo, okay, i'll pray for you and get my mind off me too. good deal. glad to know we're in similar boats.

      Delete
  4. Yay, Emily!! Hope you make it up to SB from time to time. We'd so love to see you. Eiley can play with Josie, and Buster can chase Bridget the cat. :-)

    ReplyDelete