Wednesday, October 19, 2011

my love/hate relationship with camping.

I can't decide if I like camping or not, and for some reason that ambiguity is bothering me. I went camping last weekend for my friend Shep's birthday, so I'm prepared to make a pro/con list while the experience is fresh in my mind.  


Why I dislike camping
1. Bugs. I could probably soak myself in bug spray and the suckers would still attack me. I came away from this weekend with approximately 15 bites, two of which were on my face, which surprised me for some reason. Like those mosquitoes had violated the unwritten code that the face is off limits. And if someone comments that they like me because I'm so sweet, please know that I will hunt you down, jab you with something small and painful, and ask how sweet you think I am now.
2. The supplies. Perhaps this wouldn't bother me if I went camping for more than a couple of days at a time, but I always feel stressed out and irked when we have to take an entire car full of supplies to go somewhere overnight. It makes it feel like more of a hassle than it should be.
3. Cooking. It's messy, it takes ages, and the food doesn't taste that great.
4. The dirt. Nature can really just get all over you. I am a complete wuss when it comes to being dirty. I can't handle it.
5. The cold. I am always ill-prepared for the cold. I end up awake half the night, curled in a ball, freezing and loathing life. Or, in last weekend's case, awake half the night, curled around my baby in the sleeping bag, praying that I won't fall asleep and suffocate her.
Proof of survival.
Why I like camping:
1. The time warp. What time is it? Who cares! Time simultaneously flies and stands still. I can't explain camping time, but I do love it.
Heidi was an excellent camper.
2. The fire. There's something magical about sitting by a camp fire with friends, talking about nothing and laughing about everything until wee hours.
3. The wine. It's always delicious, and it's extra relaxing to drink by that fire. 
4. Cooking. It's messy, it takes ages, and the food doesn't taste that great in reality, but since it takes ages to make and I'm generally starving by the time it's ready, it kind of tastes amazing. And there's a sense of accomplishment when one makes a real meal over a rustic fire.
Chefs Shep and Chris.
5. Tents. Hanging out in a tent is super relaxing and also makes me feel like I'm five and playing in a fort I've created or something. Plus I love the way the breeze sounds in there. Lovely.
6. Games. We didn't get a chance to play any games at last weekend's camping trip, but games are usually a camping staple. Dominoes or cards for hours on end. 
7. The dirt. All that dirt makes for the most incredible shower experience when I get home. Oh man. So great. 


And camping wins by a nose! 

No comments:

Post a Comment