Thursday, October 20, 2011

Four Years Ago Today...


Four years ago today, Jeff proposed! Spoiler alert: I said yes. Almost four years ago me wants to tell you how he proposed because it was crazy romantic and creative:

My boss, Drake, called me on my cell phone sounding extremely sheepish. Spouting apologies for his foolishness, he explained that he had left his lava lamp on in his office, and he feared that it would burn the place down. He claimed to be out of town, or else he'd do it himself. I told him that I was on my way to a movie in Orange, so it was right on the way and absolutely no problem (even though I was thinking that was silly - if the place was going to burn down, it would have burned down already).
My roommate Hilary drove, so when we reached Vanguard, I told her just to wait in the car and I would be right back. I literally ran from the car to the office door, which I discovered was open. I thought that was strange, but I proceeded to Drake's office anyway. I unlocked his door and saw that the lava lamp had already been turned off (ya know, probably on Friday. By Drake. Before he left work. Because he was lying). I then noticed that the light was on by my desk, so I decided to investigate. Red Gerbera daisies (my favorite!) covered my desk, and with them was a note that said "This is where it all began" and my heart started beating really fast and I thought "Ooo! It's happening now!!!"
I followed the trail of what I later learned was just under 60 red Gerbera daisies (they're the happiest flower, in my opinion) with 31 (my favorite number) notes attached with reasons why Jeff wants to marry me (from sentimental "because you believe in me and I in you" or "because you love God more than you love me" to funny "because I want to see how fat you get when we have triplets" or "because my lease is up in June"), and they led me to Needham, Vanguard's beautiful little chapel in the middle of campus. As I opened the doors, Bethany Dillon's "For My Love" started playing. I walked down an aisle lined with hundreds of twinkly lights, holding my bouquet, staring at Jeff wearing a tux and eight cardboard cutouts (the people that will be in our wedding), trying not to think about how surreal the moment was (and also trying not to trip).

I just noticed that our wedding party is not wearing pants.
On stage in the chapel, Jeff got down on one knee and gave a beautiful speech and asked me to be his wife. I said yes, and we kissed as the first rockin' strains of "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" echoed through the chapel.
This was staged. Jeff's camera died during the actual moment.
 
When we got to my apartment that night, Jeff and our friend Kaytie had set up a surprise engagement party - there was a big group of family and close friends there to celebrate with us! Amazing. This guy is amazing. If you haven't met him yet, please come visit me and marvel at my catch.

The end.

1 comment:

  1. Hooray! I'm all misty now. It's nice to learn of your and Jeff's romantic, marital beginnings. Now I wish I'd done something more romantic for my proposal to Sonja than get down on one knee, chug a PBR and belch out Shakespeare's Sonnet 23.

    ReplyDelete