Monday, October 17, 2011

Movie Review Monday #22: My childhood

My family always loved watching movies together, and we'd watch some so many times that the VHS would get worn out. My husband almost never rewatches films, but I'm all about it. It makes them familiar, like hanging out with old friends. It's comforting. There are many that I associate with my childhood, and here's a top ten:

2. Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken. When Sonora, that southern spitfire, tells the dreamy dude from Sixteen Candles to raise his arms while he's wearing the fringe jacket so she can trick him into a hug, my 8 year old heart just melted. This story was inspiring for horse high divers around the world.
3. The Goonies. You know, it only has the Truffle Shuffle, Data's faulty gadgets, Martha Plimpton yelling "Rabies!" at a cloud of bats, an eventually adorable misshapen man child with a "Hey you guys"catchphrase, and a group of misfits discovering new friendships as they join together to find some ancient booty. No big deal.
4. The Cutting Edge. Never before or since has there been a more entertaining montage of two people ice skating while one continuously says "toe pick." A delightful romantic comedy.
5. Muppet Christmas Carol. For the holidays.
6. Better Off Dead. This film is technically about a teenage John Cusack who gets dumped by his girlfriend and decides he'd like to off himself. In reality, it's so. much. more. My favorite character is his daffy mother who gives TV dinners as Christmas gifts and makes a dessert so disgusting that it literally creeps across the dinner table. This is 80s camp at its finest.
7. Newsies. Oh boys.
8. The Princess Bride. Why, yes, I have seen this film approximately 139 times and nearly have it memorized. Don't all children of the 90s? 
9. Tremors. I'm trying to remember if I ever found this film scary. I don't think so. It's just so silly, and I still love it even though they had to go and overdo things by making three sequels. (And a TV show?! I just saw that on imdb. Crazy. What were they thinking?!
10. Undercover Blues. If you had told 10 year old me that I would someday think Stanley Tucci was a skilled actor, I would have chuckled in disbelief and said "Morty? The guy who squeals like a girl and falls into the alligator pit?!" I'm certain those would have been my exact words. This film is a campy family spy show, in the same genre as Psych or Chuck. Hilarious and highly recommended.

Journey of Natty Gann didn't make it in my list because the only thing I can remember about it was an emotional scene where she yells at her wolf friend to "JUST GO!" from a train station. But I'm pretty sure that was on repeat at my house for a long while when I was very young too.

How about you, Lobsters? What was on repeat in your family's house?

3 comments:

  1. ditto #'s 2, 7, and 8. Add to that Cool Runnings, Rigoletto, and The Little Mermaid. How have you not done a post on Disney movies yet??

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2,4,5,6 and 7 - absolutely. Also, because we were kind of a geeky family... Sound of Music, Anne of Green Gables, and all Disney movies. Especially Aladdin and Beauty & The Beast.
    Also, I'm pretty sure I would still enjoy The Cutting Edge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mac, I am way too excited that you've even seen Better Off Dead. Not many are in that league of awesome.

    Yeah, all the Disney movies should be up there too, but I couldn't just pick one, and if I put them all, my whole top ten would have been filled. Maybe I should have added that as a disclaimer.

    ReplyDelete