Wednesday, October 26, 2011

anything once: starring in a film

This week, Regent University Cinema/Television students created the Fall Endowed Film. Jeff was cast in it, and they needed a wife and child for Jeff's character, so they got very creative and cast me as his wife and Eiley as his child. Mary, the director, is obviously a genius and knows potential talent when she sees it. In my role, I was asleep in bed, and Jeff kissed me on his way to work. It was a stretch, but I thought I could do it. 


Observations about this experience:


1. The talent is treated like royalty. People were asking if I needed anything every few minutes, and the crew quieted down and parted as we approached (which would have offended me or made me paranoid if Jeff hadn't informed me that this is how things always go down). 
2. I enjoyed getting make up. Jeff said the brush felt like teddy bear kisses. I thought it felt like a teensy face massage of loveliness. 
3. In order to prepare myself for my film debut, I rehearsed. A lot. And I think it paid off. Viewers will totally believe I was sleeping.
4. When my work was done, the crew clapped for me. What an ego boost. I mean, I knew I was good at sleeping, but it's just nice to be recognized for it sometimes, you know?
5. Seriously though, there is a ton of work that goes into making a quality film. The lighting must be perfect, and any little change can convey completely different emotions. The sound looked wildly complicated, and the  cameras looked like they weighed more than me. I was impressed by the professionalism on this set, and the passion that the students brought to their individual crew positions. Amazing.
6. Jeff is even hot when he's playing a terrible vacuum salesman and is dressed kind of Mormony.
The actual star of the film.
7. Eiley is a natural actress. Would you like her to smile, gurgle, or just be cute in general? Because she can do it all. 


This is a first that would be fun to repeat, though I'm not sure I'd want to try real acting and I don't know how often I could get cast as "sleeping wife." Maybe I can find a gig as "woman in coma" or "fully clothed cadaver" in the future. Fingers crossed. 

1 comment:

  1. Apparently it was unwise to read this while trying to put Sofia to sleep. She did not find my full body laughter very soothing.

    ReplyDelete