Thursday, July 14, 2011

Burgers and Fries

One of my favorite memories of my mother: When I was in preschool, my class let out about an hour before my little sister's. My mom would pick me up, and to kill the time, she took me out for a burger, fries, and a milk shake at the Big Boy down the road. While this is no lesson worth advocating in an age of childhood obesity, it was so special to get her to myself for that hour. I remember that time as being blissfully happy. 

With Sofia all to myself for a few days when Manny was out of town recently, I decided I needed to take it a bit easy and treat myself to a break from cooking. So we went to try out a burger place I'd never been to. If you haven't been to Five Guys, and you enjoy a good burger and fries, I would encourage you to check this place out. It was so much food it ended up providing me with two meals. The fresh cut fries were delish, and they had what was by far the fanciest touch screen soda machine I've ever seen in my life. 

But the real joy was when I sat down with my food. Ok, french fries just always make me happy. But realizing I was getting to relive that moment from my childhood - mother and daughter on a private little date, enjoy a burger together - I nearly teared up. 



I love my baby girl so much. Mom, thanks for creating that memory way back when, and teaching me what a joy motherly love can be. I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment