Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Anything Once: Farmer for a Day


Having lived in apartments or dorms for the past decade, I've relished the few opportunities I can find to get my hands into the dirt. Ever since my father started his lavender farm, I've been eager to help him propagate his lavender plants. Around two months ago, I finally had the chance I'd been waiting for. 

With my baby girl swinging under a big 'ole pecan tree with my man . . . 


. . . and an instructive tutorial from my pops . . .


I crouched down in the rows of lavender bushes, snipped little cuttings, and soaked them in water.


I transplanted them into little pots to transfer to the green house.  


After an hour or two, I got to celebrate a hard days work complete.


For days afterwards, I had a nasty sunburn and sore leg muscles, but otherwise this was a successful "anything once." It was also a wonderful added chapter into our new book of long distance grandparenting. 


Sofia dug the farm. Good thing. 
Farmer Craig will be recruiting her to get her own little paws dirty soon enough! 

Farmer Craig was kind enough to send me an update on my little plants. You can see from the top right corner, the new transplants he's made, around clockwise, to the left side with the plants I put together. Looks like they're coming along nicely! How convenient that I can feel so proud of their growth put put zero work into maintaining them. ;)


Sound fun, Lobsters? Planning on being in the Houston/Austin area anytime soon? You can visit the farm any Saturday [or on weekdays by appointment if you have 11 or more other friends interested in coming along] and even pick some lavender bundles for yourself. Farmer Craig will only make you do as much labor as you want - which for most people means relaxing in a rocking chair, enjoying a cool glass of lavender apricot tea, and admiring the beautiful landscape. Speaking of which, the landscape and setting is so beautiful in fact, that this made for the most amazing location for my baby shower last fall:



 Consider hosting your own
event there too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment