Friday, August 3, 2012

anything once: riding in a balloon

Last week Jeff, Eiley and I went with some friends to the Great Park in Irvine for some free shenanigans, including a carousel ride, taking in the Pacific Symphony, picnicking, and riding in their balloon.


A carousel ride on an ostrich. Or an emu. A carousel ride on an Australian bird.
The balloon is not of the hot air variety; it's helium. This is impressive both because it carries human beings to great heights and because it is huge - and all this despite a national helium shortage. No, seriously. I'm not even making that up. Google that ish.


Thoughts on the experience:


1. There are lovely views of the city lights from 400 feet in the air.
2. I wish I'd sung "One Giant Orange Luftballoon" to the tune of "99 Red Luftballons" while we were up there. 



3. Jeff felt like he was in James and the Giant Peach. I did too, I just didn't realize it until right now when he told me that.
4. I thought it would be cool if half of us stood on either side of the gondola and we alternated jumping to get it to rock. Mikkele firmly disagreed.


Some of my peeps on the balloon!
5. It's rather peaceful 400 feet in the open air.


This wasn't thrilling, but it was free, memorable, and pleasant. A first I would certainly repeat!


*This is 1 out of my 4 anything onces for my three month goals. Blam. Accomplished.

1 comment:

  1. kudos to your goal accomplished. and yes, it is weird you did not reference up. slightly disappointed. ;)

    ReplyDelete