Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Dear Sofia, Happy Dedication

“You spoke to me through her. You spoke to me through the sky, the trees. Before I knew I loved you, believed in you. When did You first touch my heart?”
-Jack in The Tree of Life



Dear Sofia,

I count it nothing but grace, unmerited favor, that you belong to us. You are such joy to me. I have not done anything to deserve you. 


Once upon a time, when I was a little baby, my parents dedicated me to the Church. 


That means the Church and I have had lots of time, my whole life, to have all kinds of ups and downs in our relationship. The Christian Church and I have a bit of a sordid past. It has hurt, betrayed, and rejected me, and I it. 


But several years ago, God taught me that I could not say that I loved Him, and hate His Church. The Church IS the Body of Christ. It is all united as one. And so, broken, I've been working to repair my relationship to the Church ever since, to love it, as I love God. 


And what a long way I've come. Because now, here you are, and just a few weeks ago, like my parents before me, I dedicated you to the Church too. I chose to trust the Church by putting the soul of my most precious little one in its hands. 


The service itself was a bit hilarious. All the other little ones being dedicated were a matter of weeks or months old, and you were nearly a year and a half. They all lay happily, sleepily, in their parents' arms. You had me dipping you upside down and bouncing you all around to keep you from running all over, and possibly right off the stage. But we made it through, and you made me proud. 


Your Dada and I made a vow that day to raise you in the Church. And our church made a vow to support us in that work. This was a big step for me, and a significant event for you. I don't believe that I can protect you from being hurt in the Church, annoyed by the people there, offended by its history or present actions. But I do believe that what is best for you is to be a part of this body. To find community, support, teaching, accountability, and opportunities to love. 


You are already a little girl who pours out love on the people you meet. From waving hello to strangers, to comforting other children that cry, to praying for those you have seen experiencing distress. I adore witnessing how you love, and I can't wait to see all that you will contribute to the Church over the course of your life. 


I pray that you will learn to love it, faults and all, as I do. I pray that it will be kind and supportive to you. I pray that through it, God will make Himself known to you. I pray that in turn, you will come to know God, and His Son, Jesus, intimately, and powerfully, and eternally. 


Happy Dedication my Little Girl. 


Love,
Mommy


2 comments:

  1. My dear, sweet Sofia, "Happy Dedication" from your Daddy as well. It brings me so much joy to see love pour out of you. I look forward to the many years ahead as I have the honor of watching God grow you into the person who you will become.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May Jesus always be your first love. Through you and your generation, may the Church grow more and more like Him.

    ReplyDelete