Friday, August 10, 2012

some thoughts on beauty, aimed at the ladies

Here's some self-deprecation, but don't worry - this is a happy post:

I've been thinking about beauty a lot lately. Maybe it's because my hormones from breastfeeding (bye, bye, male readers) this past year have caused dark patches of skin to appear on my face, and those patches just happen to be on my upper lip so it looks like I have a mustache. And not a cool hipster trendy mustache, but a sad, preteen-boy-who-hasn't-learned-to-shave-yet mustache. Or maybe it's because I just stopped breastfeeding a couple weeks ago so now I'm back to being flatter than a disappointing pancake. Or maybe it's because I'm tired of my wardrobe, which has recently started to be a humdrum rotation of a handful of items, most of which make me feel frumpy. Oh. Ennui.

Here's what I do, though:

I think about all of these things for approximately ten minutes each morning. While I'm attempting (and failing) to cover up my fauxstache with makeup. As I'm slinging on a slightly padded bra. When I'm yawning at my closet and resigning myself to wearing a tee-shirt and jeans for the sixth day in a row. But once all that is done, I stop thinking about it. If I pass a mirror, I don't stop to ogle and criticize myself. I don't tote around a makeup bad to touch up my face sporadically throughout the day. 

See? I'm GORGEOUS. Photo by Mikkele.

Here's why:

This is just terrible, but I have a pretty close friend who I found remarkably unattractive at first sight. As I got to know her, though, I saw that she was truly beautiful, and not just with some vague inner beauty, though that's probably what revealed the outer beauty to me. I noticed her perfect and infectious smile, kind eyes, fun hair, lovely feet even! So I've made snap judgements of physical appearances, but I've never let looks come in the way of knowing someone. 

With all that in mind, I realized that the people for whom I want to look beautiful are those I love and who love me. And those who love me will find me some version of beautiful no matter what. Therefore, I do try to be the best version of myself when I start my day, but I choose not to dwell on it.


Here's my point:

Everyone is loved, of this I am certain. God makes it clear that He loves us all, and besides Him, there are one's friends, family, co-workers, barista, postman, therapist, and/or cats. So since everyone is loved, everyone is beautiful. I wish there was a non-cheesy way to say it, but there you have it.

Feel beautiful today.

And if we see each other soon, please try not to look directly at my fauxstache.

2 comments:

  1. so honest. so true. so beautiful. i'm so glad you choose to love me despite my own unattractive qualities, be they visual or otherwise. ;) you know what i'm talking about.

    i just want all of my female friends to read this. this is so great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one of those fauxstaches too! If they are soncommon, why does agoogle keep misspelling it???

    ReplyDelete