Monday, August 13, 2012

Movie Review Monday: Mirror, Mirror vs. Snow White and the Huntsman

I find pop culture trends fascinating. There has been a recent obsession with classic fairy tales, which is cool, but I was pretty surprised when Mirror, Mirror and Snow White and the Huntsman came out within months of each other. I have now seen them both and thought that warranted a side-by-side comparison, but I'm just going to compare the characters since everything else about the films is a bit of a jumble in my head. 

Snow White:
MM - Lived up to her "fairest" description. Stuck up for herself and was brave. Totally looked like Audrey Hepburn in the last shot of the film, which gives her points in my book.
SWatH - I guess she's pretty. It's hard to tell when she barely ever smiles or emotes. Total wimp. Clearly this review is tainted by Twilight and tabloid gossip. Sorry.


Right?! Picture borrowed from here.
Leading Man:
MM - The prince. goofy, yet honorable and lovable with good intentions. Not much chemistry with Snow though. Seemed too old for her, though my BFF imdb says they're just a few years apart. Sidenote: He was played by Armie Hammer, who I think would make a perfect Finnick in Catching Fire.
SWatH - The huntsman. Brooding and strong. Admittedly great chemistry with Snow. Wields an ax with the confidence of Thor wielding his hammer. (Wah, wah.)

Evil Queen:
MM - Julia Roberts playing a silly game of dress up, not really acting. If you like her - which I do - this is not a terrible thing. Also, her costumes are awesome.
SWatH - Charlize Theron being British? Bathing in white out? Crazy-talking to her mirror which is actually a gong? I just...no, Charlize. Bad, Charlize. Sit. 


Oh, calm down, drama queen. Photo borrowed from here.
Dwarves:
MM - Lovable band of thieves played by a group of awesome, unknown actors.
SWatH - Lovable band of hermits played by a group of awesome, recognizable actors.

Rating:
MM - 1 claw up for a silly, entertaining time.
SWatH - 1 claw up for beautiful cinematography and a nice romantic storyline.


5 comments:

  1. I have not seen either of these movies. But I was just having a conversation last night about "Friends With Benefits" and "No Strings Attached" coming out so close to each other. It's so weird when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Charlize Theron part made me LA. And Micaela- I thought the same thing about those 2 movies. It's also really weird that Mila Kunis was in one and Ashton Kutcher was in the other since they dated on "That 70's Show" and are now a real-life couple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also weird that it was Mila Kunis and Natalie Portman since they had just done Black Swan together.

      Delete
  3. I think it’s silly of Hollywood to come out with two similar movies at the same time. Sort of like how Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies came out when Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter came out. I’ve heard from one of my coworkers at Dish that Hollywood will do this to trick people into going to see both, but I’m not too sure how that works out. I haven’t been able to bring myself to seeing either of them, and I feel the same about both of the Snow White movies, so I’m glad to read a comparison of them both. I’m happy to read that both movies are different. The star ratings that Blockbuster @Home has for movies are helpful, but when both movies are rated the same it can be tough to judge which is better. I’ll definitely add both of these titles to my queue, so thanks for the cool and very helpful review!

    ReplyDelete