Wednesday, August 29, 2012

. . . and then my life flashed before my eyes

I'm a little slow to jump on board, but I loved the posts by Emily and Jenna on ". . . and then my life flashed before my eyes" and so, without further ado, or too much thought (it is supposed to be a flash after all), here's my own list:

  • doing the Cotten Eyed Joe (with Emily and others) up on stage at the President's Inaugural Ball in front of the entire extended Westmont community
  • washing students' feet when I was a Westmont staff member
  • nursing Sofia in the middle of the night when she was about a week old and seeing her eyes look into mine for the very first time
  • standing by my Dad at 2am when he was on the phone with the hospital who was about to tell us whether my sister had survived a tragic bus accident in Colorado
  • running in the rain with Manny one night during college when the power went out and the entire town of Montecito was in total darkness
  • dinner at the Nadlers' with the entire Spring Break in the City crew, standing in their driveway with Manny with a huge rush of wind swirling around us. 
  • standing in the back of the Fairmont Ballroom on my last night working for Breakthrough, watching Cory Booker invest genuine interest and enthusiastic high fives into our students before receiving a bouquet of flowers from my beloved CEO, Mialisa, on the center stage. 
  • wearing the hugest, goofiest grin of my life while my jaw was dropped throughout the entirety of Cirque-du-Soleil, next to my dear friend Charity
  • jumping up and down in my driveway in 5th grade when I got a piece of writing published for the first time, and feeling so excited to tell my great-uncle, my pen-pal, who was also a poet
  • sobbing on the very very hard floor in our Berkeley apartment after a very long day that bled into the wee hours of the morning of loading up our moving truck the last night we lived there, grieving the separation from a place where we'd started our lives together.
  • Manny rolling around on the floor/ground, tickling Sofia, the both of them laughing up a storm

  • the candle-light vigil for my sister and the other victims of the bus accident, held in the art gallery where my photo series of crosses was on display
  • walking along the beach at Renwali in Sri Lanka before dawn, watching the huge waves of the Indian Ocean crash alongside me
  • sitting with a 4th grade client during a time of fear for him, hearing him tell me about how God was bigger than anything he could be afraid of
  • K playing with water in the sink at his school
  • Manny requesting "our song" during the dinner portion of a Westmont formal, standing up beside our table, and dancing with me while everyone else was still eating
  • driving around Houston, windows down, praise music blaring, and singing with my sister at the top of our lungs, while some unsuspecting passenger(s) sat awkwardly in the back seat
  • walking across felled trees that served as make-shift-bridges across the water and through the woods at Little Creek Hollow
  • tending to my transplanted potted trees I'd grown from seeds on our little front porch in Houston
  • climbing up the steps to the graveyard where Van Gogh was buried with my grandparents, passing the church he famously painted, and surveying the fields and view out over the town of Auvers Sur Oise
  • walking through the headstones for the tenement yard in Trenchtown with a Rastafarian friend who pointed to all the friends and even the brothers he'd lost in local gang fights
  • worshipping around some picnic tables, surrounded by grapefruit orchards in Texas, during a mission trip to Mexico.
  • sitting on a couch all alone on my wedding day while everyone else rehearsed, journaling about how perfectly happy I was right at that moment 
  • Sofia falling asleep on my shoulder in the plane, during a hard day of travel
  • kneeling in the mud, weeding the lavender fields with my dad, in the rain
  • getting drive-through for dinner with my cottage-mates, wearing our PJ's and bathrobes, when the rain knocked out our power
  • Sofia dancing vigorously to the ABC's with a giant one legged stomp and arm flail

  • twirling with Sofia
  • sitting on a porch, watching the world go by with Sofia and Manny
photo by: Manny Reyes
. . . and if I think about this any more, it'll be a meditation, not a flash.

Any others have some flashes to share? 

3 comments:

  1. ah! i love this! thank you for writing it.

    also, the picture of you and lauren singing praise songs in a car with some mildly confused people in the back seat was especially amusing to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love seeing glimpses into some of your perfect moments in life. What treasures! I think I will do this, too!

    ReplyDelete