Wednesday, June 20, 2012

everything is different. nothing is new.

I have been absolutely frozen trying to think of what to write recently. Too much has changed to tell it all, yet I don't really have much new going on. I moved from Virginia to California, but I'm working the same job and living in the house where I grew up for now, so I don't have a whole lot to write about here. It's oddly disorienting. I'm going to have to go with random thoughts, otherwise I may end up with literary paralysis:

  • I feel like I'm on a weird vacation, except I'm working full time so it's not a vacation at all. This is unsettling, but not in a bad or good way. It's neutrally unsettling. I have no idea when this feeling will end, but I suspect it will align with moving out of my parents' house. 
  • Since arriving in California, we have gone to In-n-Out four times, Rubio's three times, the beach once, Disneyland once, Downtown Disney once, Balboa Island once, and zip-lining in Big Bear once. I've seen two grandmas, one Grandbob, two aunts, one uncle, two cousins, one second cousin, and (obviously) my parents. I'm just saying that all the California dreaming I did in Virginia is coming true. And the weather here is just as amazing as I remembered too.
Proof of beach and nice weather!
  • So You Think You Can Dance is the best reality show on television. Please try to disagree with me. I will cut you.
  • I miss my sister something fierce. Like, I can tear up a little bit if I think too hard about it.
  • Last night, Jeff and I were following a truck with a neon pink stuffed monkey hanging off the back. It was hanging on for dear life, its long skinny legs were bouncing against the tailgate, and it was smiling. It really made me happy and I don't know why. 
  • To clarify, when I said "I will cut you" earlier, I just meant with my words. 
  • I'm currently reading two books: Rules of Civility and Hatchet. The former was a gift from Jeff's aunt, and I'm enjoying it thoroughly, though it doesn't seem to have a plot. It's basically just the story of a woman's life in New York in the 30s. The latter is a book my dad reads with his fifth grade class every year, and every year he asks if I've read it and I say no. Well, next year I'm going to say yes, darn it!
  • I recently read a couple of status updates from friends who have babies that are close to Eiley's age. One talked about her child walking for the past month. The other talked about her child identifying pictures in a book. I found myself immediately comparing Eiley to these milestones, fretting that she hasn't walked yet or that she doesn't seem near identifying objects. But let me tell you what I've already told myself - babies develop at different times. Eiley is probably doing other things faster than those two (though I am still so super impressed with Baby B and Baby C if you're reading this, ladies!!!), and she's certainly not dim or inactive or anything. Comparisons are dangerous, that's all I'm saying. And, as my husband said last night, we're going to love her no matter what anyway, so comparisons are also pointless. 
For example, how many babies can pull off this look?
  • A couple of years ago, I wrote myself a syllabus for a semester of life (which basically got thrown out the window because I got pregnant and my energy went from a 7 to a 0.5). I'm working on a new one pretty soon here - does anyone have any random suggestions?
That is all.

3 comments:

  1. Cruz started walking 6 MONTHS after our friend's baby born 2 days after him. I feel you on the inclination to compare milestones AND on the realization that comparison robs us of celebrating the milestones of our own babes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did Grandma Boyd shrink her pajamas for her? :) She looks adorable and I hope she never stops with the squinchy face. I also teared up about you tearing up about missing me. I miss you, too, but Skype is making this a little less difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. don't be sad, i know very few people who have perfectly good limbs that can't walk. she will learn eventually. also, i vote you change "play" to "musical" and write it with TJ.

    ReplyDelete