Monday, June 11, 2012

Movie Review Monday: I Do

I do: How to get married and stay single.


This was a fun French movie that reminded me a bit of High Fidelity. It's subtitled, but that's an advantage these days as controlling sound is key to letting me watch movies with an easily-startled-sleeping-toddler. In other words, I have not comments regarding the sound or music on this film ;).

The basic idea: This guy grows up as the only boy surrounded by a gaggle of sisters, and his mother. He's the lone male after his father, "Hercules," (what a name!) passes away. After facing a nasty break up as a result of bringing his girlfriend to meet his family, he both becomes over-dependent on his sisters to cover his domestic needs and completely resistent to settling down for fear of his sisters chasing off anyone he might love. But the sisters have enough of his dependence on them and demand that he get married. Creative solutions ensue.


This was one of the better romantic comedies I've stumbled across in a while, and I've been on the hunt for a good one. It felt fresh and entertaining, and still honest and poignant. The characters were familiar, but sufficiently complex to maintain my interest. There's a surprising plot twist a little ways through that helps it to be even more endearing.

I am shocked that this has not already been re-made in America. Rumors had it that Will Ferrel was going to star in the remake, but that was in 2010, and I don't see much news on the interwebs more recent than that. Should this follow through, I will likely see the film, but to be honest, I love Will and all, but not so much for this part. So instead, I'd like to brainstorm some potential alternative American leads.

Potential leads for the American remake:

1) Jeff Fazakerley [shameless plug for our Lobster favorite ;) ]
2) Jon Hamm [I just caught up on all past episodes of Mad Men, and he plays man-dependent-on-women-to-meet-all-needs quite well. He also has a great smile and does comedy well, as evidenced in his role on 30 Rock.]
3) Will Smith [I can picture him having a sweet but complex relationship with a bunch of sisters]
4) Gerard Butler [definitely his type of attitude]
5) John Cusak [maybe its just the residue of High Fidelity, but seems like he'd be a good fit]

If you've seen the film, please comment with your own recommendations, because honestly, I have pretty much no idea what I'm talking about, just having fun here.

No comments:

Post a Comment