Thursday, May 31, 2012

[Best of Year One] offense.

[originally published on April 4, 2012]


I have worked in Christian Higher Education for six years now. Admissions, specifically. Sometimes my job feels a bit dreary - like I'm just leaving robotic voicemails, explaining the same things over and over again, selling the school like it's a really nice used car. 

Today I spoke with the grandmother of a prospective student. Here was our conversation:
Grandma: "She wants to major in English, but I'm wondering if there are any jobs out there for people who major in English."
Me: "Well, I majored in English!"
Grandma: "Yes, but you have to work at the school. She wants to change the world."


Grandma - 1, My ego - 0.

Sometimes I feel like her implication is correct - I'm not changing the world. I'm sitting at a desk making calls. But when I really stop and think about what I do, I honestly feel great about it. Regent offers an excellent education and, for the most part, an awesome community. I am helping students achieve academic goals. I'm a resource for students who are making a life changing decision. And fairly often, I'm a listening ear for people who aren't ready for college yet but needed to share their story with someone - I've heard about troubles with other schools, divorce, lost family members, issues with churches, unexpected unemployment, the passing of kidney stones. I've had one person say that they saw an ad for our school on TV and they literally thought the person in the ad was talking to them and that's why they were calling. Even then, I'm nice, people. I'm freaking nice. For example, I wanted to tell that grandmother that her words were rude and hurtful, that I'm helping people like her granddaughter, that I'm contributing to putting my husband through grad school, that I'm in a job that's allowing me to be present with my daughter in her first year. My gut reaction was to try to make her feel as bad as she just made me feel, and with the aid of some colorful language. But instead:


Me: "Oh, I don't have to work here. I choose to!" (Pleasant chuckle.) "Do you have any other questions at this point?"


Are you living with purpose in your job? Can you see why God has you there? Has someone's Grandma tried to put you down recently? Do tell.


Part of my purpose.

1 comment:

  1. I love how you can turn a hurtful situation into a much lighter one. You have clearly stuck to your purposes and are now starting to reap the benefits, not the least of which is moving back to California. I am a bit sad I never got to officially say "Fare thee well" to you, the lovely Miss Eiley and your talented hubby, but I am so happy for you that you are finally reunited with your roots. Miss you but looking forward to staying in touch.

    ReplyDelete