Friday, July 13, 2012

I heart Delta

A while back, I posted one of my few negative blogs here, ranting and raving about how horrible my travel experience was over Christmas. I figure it is only fair to be similarly expressive about my opposite experience.

This past week, we flew to and from Texas. But this time, I flew Delta and had a lovely experience (only further solidifying my opinion that Continental has gone to pot, thanks to United. sorry. done ranting.).

I went into this flight more terrified than any other flight in my life. I was traveling with Sofia SOLO for the first time ever. She, squirmy, wriggling, active toddler that she is, was to sit in my lap for a total of four flights, all at least two hours long. Feeling sorry for us both yet?

But you know what? A good flight attendant can make a world of difference. Once upon a time, I was pregnant, quite pregnant, bulging pregnant, and when I politely asked a stewardess to help me lift my bag into the overhead bin. She full on scowled at me and told me that was not her job. I apologized and explained, in case she just thought I was really fat and lazy, that I was pregnant, and instructed not to lift heavy things. She told me I should have thought of that when I was packing. Eesh. Thank heavens, she was not on this recent flight.

Instead, I got Barbara. Barbara admired my child. Barbara snuck special treats under a blanket, so other passengers wouldn't get jealous, back to my child to keep her ears from popping from the pressure. Barbara disposed of my child's dirty diaper for me. Barbara entertained my child just when she was about to get too squirmy for me to handle, so that instead, my child sat sweetly in my lap. I love Barbara.

And you know what else? Turns out that when a flight is facilitated by wonderful employees who make everyone feel well served and cared for, even your fellow passengers are nicer to you. Despite my baby kicking our neighbors, pulling on their seat backs, or interrupting their reading by trying to say hi while she ran down the isles (ok, that last one was pretty cute), they wouldn't even accept my apologies. I tried to apologize in advance of the flight to the man sitting next to me that it'd been a long day for both of us, and I would do my best to contain her, but she was tired of being cooped up all day. His response? "Well then it has been a hard day for you, and the last thing you need to worry about is what anyone else thinks." I nearly cried, it was so kind.

Then on the last leg of our travel, quite sick with a nasty cold, after having only two hours of sleep the night before, the pressure started to get to my ears worse than its been in over two decades. God was gracious and had made Sofia sleep through pretty much the entire flight up until that point, and even through most of the landing process. But as tears streamed down my face and I did all I could to stay still so as not to disturb my sleeping girl on my chest, I began to draw some attention through apparently agonizing facial expressions. The women across the isle became fully distraught that I was uncomfortable. My seat neighbor, kind gentlemen, was trying to figure out what he could do to help, and every single stewardess on the flight surrounded me, attempting to find a way to rescue me. But the sweetest moment? All the hubbub woke my child. She sat up, turned around, saw the tears on my face, and with troubled concern in her own eyes, she wrapped her arms around me and while giving me a nice long hug, she said, "Mama, love." And then she went back to sleep. I would almost go through everything about that flight all over again just to experience that moment a second time. Almost. Not really though.

So thank you to Barbara, and the kind stewards and stewardesses of Delta Airlines. And thank you to anyone reading this who has ever extended a little extra patience, kindness, snacks, or entertainment to a Mama with a child on a flight. God bless your compassion! Thank you, my sweet Sofia, for being the best traveler your could be at 18 months, and for loving your Mama. 

4 comments:

  1. this post made me happy because i just posted something similar about delta a few days ago, and it involved flight attendants helping with babies too! =) http://chinamelissa.blogspot.com/2012/07/yay-delta.html
    (i don't know if you know who i am actually, but i remember you from westmont and your husband was in some of my math classes there. i found your blog because i'm friends with michael strongman.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok that last paragraph had me crying! What a tender heart Sofia has! So glad the flights went so well for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved this. and delta should be paying you commission for this because i get the feeling that i'll choose delta next time we fly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad to make y'all smile and cry. and yes, Delta, I will be happy to accept commissions. Dear Lobsters, when you check in for your next Delta flight, please tell them, "The Long Distance Lobsters sent me" ;)

    ReplyDelete